Betta in the 55gl & Betta with a bullhead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need some betta advice. Two different betta's and two different issues.

We bought a betta two weeks ago or so (Kaz), I have one already in a 10gl tank with only a tiny bullhead as a tank mate. The Betta in the 10gl tank is Bubbles.

Bubbles fins are starting to look ratty. This all started when I put the tiny bullhead in with him. They do not fight that I can see and Bubbles has been a good boy with a new fish in his tank. I worried about it. Now the bullhead is an inch if that, he is just tiny and very active. I plan to move the bullhead into the 55gl as soon as I can, right now he is too small and my pims may eat him.

I never see the bullhead picking on the betta, but who knows what can happen at lights out. Is it possible the little bullhead is nipping at the betta's fins? The water in the tank is all in check, tank is very healthy so I know it is not the water. Ammonia is 0, nitrIte is 0, nitrate sits at 10 (small bioload and has floating plants) I do 50% PWC once a week and a light gravel vac.

------------

Kaz. I had him temp in a 1gl bowl. What I had laying around. I was thinking of getting him a 10gl tank. I decided to try him out in the 55gl tank. The tetra leave him alone and he seems rather happy in the tank. He goes and hides in the fake plants, darts around and swims around. He seems to love the room.

He does seem to of course struggle with the high current in the tank. He seems to go to plants and rest from the current. I am trying to decide if it is proper for him to be in there? He gets along, seems happy, and has found a way to get comfortable from the current and sit. He does swim around and then goes and rest.

I just feel bad he has to fight the current and swim so hard.

What do you think?

Do you mean bullhead as in the game fish? I did some searching. They have sharp spines on the dorsal and pectoral fins, plus their barbels are a lot sharper-looking than a cory cat. They are considered an opportunistic scavenger, so even though the bullhead is tiny now, it could very well harm the slow-moving betta.

For Kaz, I would try to identify the areas of the tank where the current is the strongest and maybe add a few more fake plants to that area. Silk plants are easier on a betta's fins than the plastic ones. If he seems happy there I would leave him there rather than put him back in the bowl. He would like a 10 gallon though, I'm sure, if you want to set one up for him. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the current since you could get a filter that isn't too strong.

If by bullhead you mean a bullhead catfish then I'd watch out. They're nocturnal predators and will eat any fish they can get in their mouth. Plus they get fairly large for a small tank.

Right away in the LFS I knew he was a type of bullhead. I brought him home took pics and right away did a ID On planetcatfish. Hard as his small size to be sure, but many are pretty sure it is a Spotted Bullhead they get to 11"

He has a pattern on his body so it makes it a bit easier.

Snail Bullhead is another possibility, if that is true we are looking at around 12-13in

As far as size. One has to worry about a Black Bullhead they get 2ft or so, same with the white catfish. He is nothing close to looking like those, so I think I am pretty safe.

I figure around 12" is what I can expect. My common and vampire pleco will be bigger then that.

Right now he is an inch so he is to small to eat the betta, but I do also wonder if he thinks the fins are worm like and nips at him.

By the time the bullhead is big enough to physically harm the betta or eat him he will be in a 55gl tank. This is very temp, to avoid the bullhead being lunch in the 55gl. At the same time though if the betta's fins start to look more ragged the bullhead is going to have to go in the big tank and hope he makes it. My pims are pretty calm, but I know they can kill if they wanted. lol

--------------
An t-iasg silk plants stacked up more on the sides by the filters is a wonderful idea! I will try that and give him more hiding places from the current.

I will try that and if I feel he still struggles in there more then its worth I will get him his own 10gl like Bubbles.

Okay, to quell posts about stocking.

I plan to have a 55,75,125+ tanks for my family of fish. They are all in "growing out" phase and are still small. Stocking is not an issue right now, they will never be overstocked or in a tank to small for them. I am far enough into fish keeping to understand this part.

I am a catfish lover and know they can get big. As I grow out my babies as I call them, it would be a waste to have large tanks for such a small number of small fish. It is wiser for me to buy as they grow and house them that way. They will need the room as they grow.

My style is buying less bigger fish then a lot of small fish. Right now I dont think a 125gl tank is needed for a 6" common pleco and a 1" bullhead. A 75gl is only needed right now due to my common pleco growing fast, he is at 6" and my bullhead if it holds true to catfish growth will grow fast so he will need to be in the 75gl soon as well, other wise I dont even need a 75gl yet.

My only other fish that gets close to the bullhead and common size is the vampire and he is only 5" and has time for a bit. Also my clown loaches as slow as they grow wont need a 75gl until the bullhead and common are in a 125gl+

If I'm correct you only have the 55g right now. Why get a 75 then a 125? I would think it'd be easier to just jump from the 55g straight to the 120g.

Good luck with the bullhead and pims btw if it comes down to moving the bullhead to the 55

I need both because of the fish I have. It gets confusing but...

Coming out of my 55gl there are various fish that need different tanks as they grow. It boils down to the need for a 75 and a 125+

My 55gl I want to keep for my smaller fish that I enjoy keeping. Which by the way the betta in the 55gl is doing great!!! It seems he has gotten use to the current and seems much more graceful in there and comfortable. He hangs out at the top in the corner and swims around. He eats and is doing well.

My common pleco and bullhead will be housed together as the common will be the only fish that gets big enough to be with the bullhead. They will need the 120gl+ (75gl will be to small for the common to keep growing in)

My vampire pleco the 55gl IMHO is too small for him at full length and will house him in the 75gl which would be nice for him.

Also my clown loaches need a bigger home and they will get the 75gl as t hey grow so slow.

As the bullhead grows he will need to be moved because he will eat my fish. I will not be able to keep him in the 55gl long before my tetra become snacks for him. He will go into the 75gl and live in there (maybe with the common, depends on how fast he kepts growing) until I am ready to use it for my vampire pleco and the clown loaches.

At this time it will work out nice for the bullhead and common pleco to get their 125+gl tank and it will free up my 75gl.

Back
Top Bottom