Betta isn't doing good.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Betta is just laying on the bottom. I'm in the process of doing a "fish in cycle". Everything has checked out ok with water. Not perfect because I'm in the cycle but my fish is just sorta laying on the bottom. Any advice?

What are the exact number of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Do a 50% water change now, test your water again after a few minutes and post your results. It sounds to me he's suffering from the levels being too high.

I checked it about 15 min ago and the ammonia is at 0.25. I don't know about nitrate or nitrite. Haven't had a chance to pick those tests up...

I would do a PWC to get the ammonia down and see how he goes. You really need those tests. The nitrite could be high and you wouldn't know. What temperature Is the tank?

One thing abouut bettas is that they often "lay" around. Mine ofteen lay on the bottom and in and under plants. Water quality doesn't effect bettas as much as other fish. Unlike most fish they breath air from the surface.

Lowryder said:
One thing abouut bettas is that they often "lay" around. Mine ofteen lay on the bottom and in and under plants. Water quality doesn't effect bettas as much as other fish. Unlike most fish they breath air from the surface.

False. A Betta will be very active if provided a heater an a cycled tank. They suffer from the same issues as other fish in poor water conditions. They should not be treated any different just because they can withstand poor water longer than other fish. It is true that they breathe air from the surface but they also use their gills like every other fish and they can receive ammonia and nitrite buns just as easily.

Mumma.of.two said:
False. A Betta will be very active if provided a heater an a cycled tank. They suffer from the same issues as other fish in poor water conditions. They should not be treated any different just because they can withstand poor water longer than other fish. It is true that they breathe air from the surface but they also use their gills like every other fish and they can receive ammonia and nitrite buns just as easily.

I disagree that bettas will be active as a rule. I have one that's a loon like you describe, and have had two that will chill out on or against flat objects. Bettas have such a range of personalities that it can be hard to identify unnatural behavior sometimes.

I agree with water conditions though. They need generally the same conditions as normal fish, more so in some capacities. I have one betta with scars from severe ammonia burns.

Male bettas are sold in cups, not the greatest water quality. They are also kept by beginners in bowls with no filter for years. Bettas are not as effected as most fish. I did not say they are immune to poor water quality. I keep my betta in an unheated tank. He is active but also likes to lay around. I also keep my cichlid in an umheated tank and he doesn't lay on the bottom. Many betta owners have caught their fish 'napping'.

To the OP: keep your ammonia at .25 and watch for gill damage and as long as he still eatting then I wouldn't worry.

I disagree that bettas will be active as a rule. I have one that's a loon like you describe, and have had two that will chill out on or against flat objects. Bettas have such a range of personalities that it can be hard to identify unnatural behavior sometimes.

I agree with water conditions though. They need generally the same conditions as normal fish, more so in some capacities. I have one betta with scars from severe ammonia burns.
I was refering to a betta in a heated tank compared to one that is not (i"m not refering to one in a heated house either). Of course they rest, all fish do.

Back
Top Bottom