Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Betta Lifespan

I have read that the average lifespan for betta splendens is only about 2-4 years. I don't know if those statistsics are for bettas in tanks, or if they include bettas in vases/cups. I am just curious, how long has anybody had a betta in a tank live?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've wondered the same thing myself, but my guess is that the ones in a tank live for 3-4 and the ones in vases live 6mo. I received a full grown male Betta as a gift - he'd been living in a vase and I put him in my 10g and he lived about a year or so longer- I have no idea how old he was when I got him though, I just know he was really big and not aggressive, even with the ladies! So I know he was past his prime...

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My cousin has had a betta for ten years. In a vase with bamboo in it. Possible? I don't know how O_o
Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

benny (the betta) has lived in a large glass bowl at my house for 5 years. he's not too active anymore but is still eating well and still has beautiful color. i don't know how old he was when i got him.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I've got a betta that started his life in a vase and is now in a tank and my sister and I figured out he was 5ish. He's still going strong too.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

4-6 years is probably about average. If you have better stock (as in from a breeder, not a betta mill) they'll live longer. On the other hand, poor genetics will lead to shorter lives, which you might run into with specially bred bettas.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I suppose it depends on whether you mean average lifespan in captivity, average lifespan under ideal conditions, or average lifespan in the wild :P The 2-4 statistic may include bettas living in bowls and such.

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeebm View Post
I suppose it depends on whether you mean average lifespan in captivity, average lifespan under ideal conditions, or average lifespan in the wild :P The 2-4 statistic may include bettas living in bowls and such.

--Adeeb
Yeah, thats what I am wondering. I specified betta splendens in tanks because I have never really had any experience wild any other betta types, and I definitely have no idea about the bettas that live in the wild.
I think aqua chem might be right that 4-6 years seems like a more decent average for bettas in tanks. And yes, poorer geentics definitely play a part in lifespans of any fish. Honestly, I am wondering if bettas from good breeders live longer because they have better genetics and have never been subjected to the poor conditions (in theory).
Old 11-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
come get me tang police!

I would think that line/selective bred bettas would probably do worse because the selective/line breeding tends to make for weaker stock in general.

I would say that a bettas lifespan could be infinite (at least perceived as) assuming that the people keeping it have a steady supply of identical looking ones to take its place, lol. It's sad but I've seen it happen.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I brought this up on a thread like a year ago. Bettas can live staggeringly different life span. I would say that 2-4 years is of a betta in perfect conditions. Normally the bowl/vase ones live about a year, with exceptions applying.

My boyfriend had a betta live over five years in a bowl. He hated filters and hated bigger set-ups, so he had to stay in his one favorite little bowl. He passed on a few months ago due to me being a moron...

One of the mods/admins on here had a betta that was like eight or ten years old. I can't remember which one though, so don't quote me on that. I'm trying to remember who it was... anyway, I have read multiple claims of bettas reaching ten and going over. I have never personally known the person or fish to be over five though.

Tags
betta, lifespan, vase

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com