betta looks healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, tank has been cycled for about a year now...he has only been in there for about a month. the tank is 20 gallons. Im struggling to find a good place to order NLS food....

he is in there with a school of neon tetras. and then some type of sucker fish...not sure which one....he keeps to himself though haha

thanks, any help on the food though? a community blend NLS will still work for the betta? but will the 1mm be too big for my neons?

patola_l said:
thanks, any help on the food though? a community blend NLS will still work for the betta? but will the 1mm be too big for my neons?

Just crush it up if they can't handle it. Almost like feeding a baby fish, just a bit bigger. I think the community blend would work just fine though.

It looks like just regular fin damage. It's possible he's snagging his fins on plants or decor in the tank. Be sure there is no sharp edges or pokeys on anything. Real and silk plants are best, but some plastic is ok if you're very careful. With decor, I smooth our edges with a metal nail file. He could also have been nipped by tankmates. I wouldn't suspect neons of it, typically.

I feed my bettas hikari betta bio-gold. After trying many, all of my bettas took to the hikari and I can't say that for any others. They are tiny and much easier for them to eat. I feed 2-3, depening on size of the betta. I also feed frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp/mysis shrimp a couple times a week. One day a week feed a few pellet sized peices of shelled boiled pea. This helps avoid the constipation and bloating probs they are prone to. Or if you can't bother with the pea you can fast once a week. :)

Im not sure what it could be the, all my plants are real, and they are very soft plants. i also dont have an decor so i don't think thats it either.

BigAl's Canada

thanks, i found a good site online. Aquarium Supplies, Cheap Dog Supplies, Fish Supplies, Best Cat Toys. for 40 bucks i can get NLS for my cichlids as well. Since my betta is in the tank with the neons, should i get the betta formula? or should i get something more generic for them all?

Be sure to check the Canadian site as the prices are very different (higher) from the US site in your link.
Aquarium Supplies, Cheap Dog Supplies, Fish Supplies, Best Cat Toys

i got very excited to see the total of 40 dollars........ then i read your post...its actually 60 on the Canadian site. No store in my city carries the stuff so i will be forced to pay the price to order it.

since its so expensive, what other food would be best. Brands my store does have are hikari, omega one, nutrafin, top fin, tetra and a few others. Any suggestions. I have cichlids too! they are being fed a brand called Dainichi

I have two female bettas in a tank with 10 black neon tetras, 5 five banded barbs, ghost shrimp, and ottos. I've been alternating between two different types of flake food, freeze dried brine shrimp, and freeze dried bloodworms. I'll also put in shrimp pellets and an algae wafer for the bottom feeders.

Should I stop feeding them flake food alltogether? The five banded barbs don't come up for it anyway, they mostly attack the shrimp pellets. In fact, the bettas will eat the flake food, then go after the shrimp pellets and algae wafer too.

Will the other fish eat the betta food that has been suggested on this thread?

That seems to be the consensus too, ingredients wise, what should i be looking for? The one i have currently has:
Crude Protein (min) 42.0%
Crude Fat (min) 6.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 2.0%
Moisture (max) 9.0%

....but i feel like its such a generic brand, also i have no clue what percentages i should be looking for.

Back
Top Bottom