Betta male attacking female betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size tank are you keeping them in?
You can only keep the male and female together for about 24 hours, If they haven't bred by then, seperate them, otherwise the male will kill the female.

You’ve got your tank set up and you’ve picked out your breeding pair, now you will want to put the male in the breeding tank and the female close by where he can see her. At this point hopefully the male will begin to construct his bubble nest, but this is not always the case. Be sure to feed them live foods such as baby brine shrimp to condition them for breeding. Keep an eye on the female, and once vertical lines appear on her body and she has become considerably fatter, then she is most likely ready to breed with the male. Another way to tell is by looking towards the anal fin. If a bright white gravid tube is sticking out then she is ready. When the female shows signs that she is ready, you can then put her in with the male. Now spawning may not happen right away and it could even take days before it does, but it will be well worth the wait. Don’t get overly anxious if a lot of chasing occurs at first and don’t separate them because of a few torn fins, otherwise you will never have fry. When spawning finally takes place, the male will wrap himself around the female to extract her eggs. This will happen several times during the spawn, and will end once the male chases the female away from the nest. At this time you will need to remove the female or the male will end up killing her. Now to prevent fungus from growing on the eggs, or from growing on the males torn up fins, you should add Aquari-Sol to the tank. You will also need to treat the female to prevent fungus from growing on her fins as well.

source:
http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/articles/BreedingBettas.html

So I'd say, remove the female as soon as possible and keep her in another tank until you know how betta breeding happens! :wink:

Stop by your LFS and see if the have this book

Bettas by Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.

It will tell you everythimg you will ever want to know about Bettas including how to breed them.

you will want to wait till the female is full of eggs when you place her in the tank. then it is best to divide the tank, and let the male see the female to inspire him to make a bubble nest. when this is done, you can put them together. then seperate them after they have laid eggs. hth

I have heard that a fight with male vs. male is needed before they will breed. You simply put two males together and let them get the adrenaline pumping, quickly seperate them, and then put the chosen male in with the female betta. swiftly seperating them after about 24hours after they have spawned. This may not be true nut I am quite sure I read this somewhere from a reliable source although it may sound cruel.

My male and female betta have been living together peacefully for some time now. I was going to seperate them after the failed breeding attempts but they get along just fine. No aggression. He does at times display but she has no physical injurries. I do plan on seperating them however becuase I would hate to go change water, feed, etc... and find her injuried.

I think it may have something to do with how they live in the wild, and this breeding behavior becoming bred into them.

Back
Top Bottom