Betta... Male or Female ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lithurgus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When it come to sexing. Betta's are the easiest one to distinguish. But the betta which i rescued from my LFS consfused me. I only kept them hardly 2 to 3 times in my life and always i had a male which can be easily distinguished by its long fins and bright colors. But now i am confused with one i am having right now either its a male or female. Some times it seems its a female some time it seems its a male reaching towards his maturity. So finally i am here to have the advice of experts and betta keepers..

20180324_011645.jpg20180324_011613.jpg20180324_010008.jpg

Attachments

• 20180324_005407.jpg
    20180324_005407.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 59
This is my female, they look similar but I am not sure of her age.

Attachments

• Growing Belanna.jpg
    Growing Belanna.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Growing Belanna2.jpg
    Growing Belanna2.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 49
You could have a female. There's a few ways to tell. The flare it gives will be less than what a male will show, and the white belly will usually indicate it's a female. Looks like it might be a rare female to me. Sometimes it can be hard to tell either way. But there are some long tail females out there. Coralocean has one of them, that's for sure! They are pretty rare, and if either of you decide to ever breed them, find a very gentle male and do lots of reseach on your females and breeding betta's. Sometimes breeding bettas the males will kill the females. So, be very careful on the male you pick If you do. Best of luck to find out what you actually have.

I also placed a mirror infront of my betta but flare was not of a male..

Yeah from this pic its quite sure you are having a female.. its really so adorable

Back
Top Bottom