Betta not eating ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have had a Betta for about a week. I feed them all (both tanks) each morning. Every one eats and is happy, except the Betta. He just doesn't seem to eat at all, hides in the back of the tank, has a betta tube but won't use it. He is in with 4 corys and 2 really small corys. Just don't know enough about betta personalities to know if this may be something I should be concerned about. Also, are they veggie eaters(Cucumbers, Zucchini, Spinach?) Thank you!

What type of betta. Also, look if he might be bloated/constipated.
Temperature? Water settings? pH.
You can try feeding him some pea's, but he might not eat it.
Also, a thing i know he might like is blood worms.

He is a spadetail, all number are good: pH 6.8, Ammon.0 Nitrite .0 Nitrate .0
I don't think he is bloated because he looks the same as I brought him home. He flairs at a spot in the tank, (which is not a mirror, I think he sees his reflection on the backing, which are pictures of rocks). I have tried flakes, flextubs, blood worms, and all I have is canned peas, will they work? I just don't want to loose him cuz he is beautiful! Thank you for your suggestions

No, canned peas have salt. He might still be getting used to things and if the food you're offering is different than what he got at the store it could take him a while to eat. Maybe try a betta pellet, see if that works. What's the temp of the tank?

Let us know if the pellets work. Bettas eat from the top, so they won't venture downward if the food falls, so a floating pellet might be best for him. Good luck!

slow down

If you have nitrate 0, your tank isn't cycled. Click the link/copy paste in my signature and it will walk you through cycling your tank. You'll need to do water changes daily, are you using water conditioner? How long has the tank been set up?

He is a spadetail, all number are good: pH 6.8, Ammon.0 Nitrite .0 Nitrate .0
I don't think he is bloated because he looks the same as I brought him home. He flairs at a spot in the tank, (which is not a mirror, I think he sees his reflection on the backing, which are pictures of rocks). I have tried flakes, flextubs, blood worms, and all I have is canned peas, will they work? I just don't want to loose him cuz he is beautiful! Thank you for your suggestions

Do yiu have live plants? If not you are probably not cycled.

I understand now about the cycling. This afternoon a BB started... I did a 50% water change and will do near that much tomorrow.

Betta pellets didn't work out. I am beginning to think that the corys. which are fast moving are intimidating the betta.

Might have to put the corys in the 20 gal. tank and take out my two corys out of there and put them in the betta tank. Those two are quieter.

Thank you so much!

Try a floating food like Freeze dried blood worms, They are nice and floaty. You could also try soaking the food in a little pure garlic juice. Its said to make them eat.

Back
Top Bottom