Betta Not Eating - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
My betta fish wont hardly eat i brough hine home less tgan a week ago and i knew ge wouldnt eat the first night i have got another betta for my nother abd its doing just fine

^ is he in a bowl? Try feeding him different things mine only eats bloodworms >.<

1. How are you keeping the betta? Bowl, tank, size, etc?

2. What is the temperature?

3. Do you have a test kit to test for toxins in the water like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

4. Did you use dechlorinator for the bettas water?

5. What are you trying to feed it?

6. How does it look overall? How does it behave?

He is in a tank about a 1gal, no heater, no filter but im putting in a sponge filter. He looks fine overall and no test kits but im trying to fix that. It is a new tank I bought. Yes, I did a water change, twice and about to do another one. He is eating tropical fish flakes. I'll try a different food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mckitrick said:
He is in a tank about a gal no heater no fister but im putting in a spinge filter he looks fine overall and no test kits but im trying to fix that and it is a new tank u bought and yes i did a water change twice about to do another one

A gallon is pretty small for a betta
Get 5 gal instead if you can
A heater is a must as is a filter
He's most likely got ammonia poisoning from you're uncycled tank

Thank god he isnt sick or over it he ate pellet food that my moms eat so now ill buy that food

emerald76 said:
A gallon is pretty small for a betta
Get 5 gal instead if you can
A heater is a must as is a filter
He's most likely got ammonia poisoning from you're uncycled tank

Yes I agree or at least a 2.5G tank. Try other foods or more space. Get some filtration and heater though!

Mckitrick said:
Thank god he isnt sick or over it he ate pellet food that my moms eat so now ill buy that food

That's good! Glad to hear that!

Your best bet to avoid some of the common betta health issues is to only feed high quality betta pellets and frozen foods like bloodworms. New Life Spectrum and Hikari are good brands.

I'd recommend you pick up a 5 gal tank for your betta. Personally, I don't feel any fish this large can be given a proper home in anything smaller. You'll need a heater as well. Preferrably one with an adjustable knob so you can achieve a stable temp of 80 degrees. A master test kit will also be necessary to run any aquarium. Hopefully you can work on getting these upgrades, starting with the test kit. :)

You need to understand the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle your tank. The fish will become sick if you aren't aware of how this process works. Here's some helpful links: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Make sure you are using dechlorinator when you do your water changes. As long as it is in a container this small and you are not able to test the water, I would recommend you do 50% water changes daily, and be sure to temperature match the new water perfectly.

He is in a tank about a 1gal, no heater, no filter but im putting in a sponge filter. He looks fine overall and no test kits but im trying to fix that. It is a new tank I bought. Yes, I did a water change, twice and about to do another one. He is eating tropical fish flakes. I'll try a different food.

In the future, when you get a tank of any size, please be sure to also purchase an appropriate filter and heater BEFORE you get any fish. You really need to get that API test kit. There's a right way and a wrong way to approach fishkeeping. You've got to start taking steps in the right order and try to avoid impulse purchases. It's just not fair to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom