Betta Obsession....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frshwaterfinatc

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wondering if any of you out there share my betta obsession, and if you do, I'd love to hear about your rare colored ones (and even your normal reds!!) or anything you've got to say about them...
Since I work in the fish dept I see all the betta shipments when they first arrive, and usually set them up in their individual bowls to be sold. There are a lot of beautiful strains and odd colors that come in and I've got first access to buying them- and yes, a lot of the time I cave and DO purchase them!

Some of my striking bettas are my silver betta (doesn't need much more of a description... it's light metallic and shines in the light)

-green-bodied betta with clear fins that have emerald lining just on the very edges- very spiky edged fins, as well

-crimson red and maroon betta with curly-ended fins and gorgeous, vivid green spots along the side and in between the fins' vertical stripes

First I have to find a digital camera!! We had one around here, but I think someone broke it... I'll post one as soon as I find one that works or I can borrow one. :) I have a lot of fish I'd love to post photos of....

I know what you mean about wanting to buy the bettas that first come in. I work in a pet department as well, and see each of the bettas as I put them on the shelve. The coolest one I have seen so far was a golden one, completely dark gold in color, with whitish tips on it's fins....aww it was amazing looking.

I usually wait though to buy mine, and get the ones that nobody wants...I dunno why, I just don't like leaving them on the shelves...

So, if it is red, and has sat on the shelf for more than two weeks, I'll get it! I did cave last week and bought a baby bluish betta...but I can't find it now...It wasn't eating in the 5 gal tank I put it in, so I put it in my 55 gal. And it is gone. :|

AAAWWW THE BETTA!!

What a beautiful fish.

At the moment I have 6.

I have one in a 1 gal tnak on my computer desk,1 Male and 2 females in a tengal on my dresser.

1 male in a 5gal tank on my sons desk and a female in a 2.5gal tank in my little girls room.

They are all beautiful.

You guys sound like Betta pros to me because I just got my first one and have been using the following web site to educate myself on its care. It's a solid blue veil tail from LFS. If the advise at Bettatalk is not good please let me know now?
http://www.bettatalk.com/ :D

Awww, you guys! How nice!

I know what you mean about buying the last ones, too... I do that sometimes. And recently my co-worker decided to rescue a beautiful dark blue male that the owner wanted to throw out because it had popeye. She took him home and has been giving him meds- now the eye's almost back to normal!

advice on betta talk...

Yes, the advice on betta talk is pretty good. She's got a nice site running there! I love her virtual betta interaction tank- the way he looks at the flakes when you drop them in and says "You've GOT to be joking!" So true- bettas hate flakes! Give them brine shrimp or pellets; YUM!

Bettas are fantastic fish with so much personality! My fiancee hates taking me to the LFS because he knows I'll try to bring home yet another one! :D However, I think I'm wearing off on him.....the last trip HE wanted to bring one home! :D Yeah!!

Do Betta's need lighting?
Do they need water circulation and filtration?
What are the top Betta web sites and forums?
Thanks for any help I'm new at this! :D

For my birthday last year, my friends bought me a little red betta with a white chin. I named him Flames. He lived in a bowl for a few months. I felt really bad so my mom bought him a 5 gal tank. Then he needed friends :wink: , so I bought some community fish. This year for my birthday, I got a 20 gal just for him and his friends. Many fish came and went. I bought him a girlfriend at walmart :x . Eventually, I was persuaded by petsmart(I HATE THAT PLACE) to buy a "docile" and "community" brown knife. I could tell Flames hated him. I had to go out of town for a few days, and my neighbors took care of the fish. When I came back, I found that the knife had slaughtered Flames, his girlfriend, Patches (a cory), and some neons. :cry: :cry: I was SO devestated. I immeadiatly took that stupid knife back and complained. They just said, "Thats too bad."

Now I have 6 bettas, my favorite is Ghost. He is white with the most gorgeous long tail. He has some black spots on his mouth and fins.

Everytime I see the poor bettas in Pets Unlimited, in their little plastic cups, I want to buy every last one of them and take them home, they look so sad and scraggly :(

Well, bettysplendens.com and bettatalk.com are very good websites and petfish.net has a pretty good forum.

Back
Top Bottom