Betta or Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a 10 gallon tank with 7 neons. I originally was going to go with a betta but I'm thinking about getting a gourami. Any opinions or suggstions?

Also...suggestions for anything to keep algae undercontrol.

What kind of gourami? I have one dwarf gourami that's mean, and one that's nice, and they had to be separated. I think it kind of depends on the gouramis attitude lol.

I don't really know what kind cuz everything I've read just says "dwarf" I read those are supposed to be less agressive than say a blue gouarmi. Idk though

Either one should be okay, but don't go for any other gourami in a 10g tank. The males have that beautiful striking blue on them, but they can be agressive. Just depends on the personality of the fish. Same goes for bettas really.

If you go the betta, just make sure he gets food. They don't spring to the top like neons and tetras and tend to like to hang and take a bit as they want. He might miss out with fast neon action.

And they love brine shrimp as treats too.

Well, like I said, all fish have different attitudes lol. My bettas barely let the food touch the surface before they are attacking my finger. And they get fed twice a day haha!
My blue DG is my mean one, my flame one is my sweetie that is HILARIOUS! He squirts water at me and jumps out of the water when I am feeding him.

I was hoping for a more decisive decision, but I think I just have to go with whatever catches my eye first. Thank you for the input.

LOL! I would go with a flame DG, JMO though. He is the one that is redish, with little blue zebra stripes. I love him.

I like my Dwarf Flame Gouramis : vibrant red and blue.

I have two in a 55 gal... and they barely tolerate each other... I think only because the tank is big enough that they each have their own "territory". They don't bother any of the other fish at all though... (danios, swords, corys, angel) they just try to intimidate each other :)

I guess I'm saying that having just ONE would make for a nice, colorful, centerpiece fish in a 10 gal. I would expect him to get along fine with a school of Neons. He'll look really big next to them, will make a nice contrast in the tank.

Just an update for all you that helped me. I went in to the lfs and they had the dwarf flame gouramis but just my luck....they showed definate signs of fin rot, so i went with a powder blue dwarf gourami in a completely different tank that had no sign of fin rot.

He acclimated to the temp for about 20 min and i put him in. He seems a little crazy right now just shootin all over the place, kinda jittery i guess. When i fed them all he ate a touch. Hasnt been aggressive with the neons yet so well have to see how the night goes.

Back
Top Bottom