Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Betta out of water for hours. OMG!

When I woke up this morning Pretty-Fish was in her tank (8am). We left around 10am ran errands and came home at 12:30. Pretty-Fish was NOT in the tank when I peaked in. I tipped over every hiding decor, even took the HOB off to look. No Fish. Finally started looking around the base of the tank, including in the basket of books that lives on the bottom shelf. No fish. Then I noticed my sons little bag for books. I picked it up, unfolded it and "SHREIIIIIK!" there was Pretty-Fish. She started flopping as soon as I unveiled her. I immediately dumped her into the tank, where she sank to the bottom, still alive, and sat there. I turned off the lights and covered the tank with a towel to give total darkness.
WHAT DO I DO NOW!?!?!?!
Has anyone's bettas ever experienced this? Is she going to make it?? I feel horrid, because I'm pretty sure she didn't jump (tank is very well covered except for small hole for HOB) which means I have some teaching to do with my son...

venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

She will most likely be just fine. I've had fish jump in the middle of the night and found them outside the tank in the morning dried-up and not breathing. I put them back in the tank and whatcha know, they slowly came back to life and are still fine a couple of years later. LOL I've forgotten what it's like to have young children.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hope she's OK! Pretty Fish is what I call my wife, LOL.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh dear! The biggest threat will be skin infections if the slime coat truly dried out. Keep her water pristine and use a good dechlorinator that helps protect the slime coat while she grows a new one. AquaSafe Plus is a good one for that (by Tetra brands). Good luck.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/87803-albums13776-picture65348.html
Well it looks like Pretty-Fish is doing ok. She still is clamping her tail fin and keeps giving me stink-eye, but I think she will make it. Just did a WC yesterday so I think the water is good.
edit: this is a picture of her from 30 min ago.
venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh no! She is really in need of some serious TLC right now! Wishing her the best! Fish kisses
Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bettas are amazingly tough troopers They're specifically adapted to survive in regions where water levels widely vary and puddles can dry out from underneath them. As long as she doesn't catch any infections while her slime coat regrows (as mentioned earlier), she should make it.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by venymae View Post
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/87803-albums13776-picture65348.html
Well it looks like Pretty-Fish is doing ok. She still is clamping her tail fin and keeps giving me stink-eye, but I think she will make it. Just did a WC yesterday so I think the water is good.
edit: this is a picture of her from 30 min ago.
Yep. I'd say she does look really ticked off.

anachrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, betta, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com