Betta owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd definitely do that. Platies get lonely. Once two of my platies died, leaving the third all alone, and she was really sad for those few days she was alone, always sulking and not wanting to eat. As soon as I got her some new friends, she instantly was happy again, perhaps happier, was swimming around and eating like the little piggy she is. If you get another platy try to get one of the same color because I find that they prefer platies that look like them.

I've noticed that too. Right now she just sort of hangs at the bottom in a corner. She does come out for food and occasionally swims around. But not as often as she should. I haven't witnessed the betta picking on her at all so I think she's just lonely. I only kept her because I've had her the longest of all my fish. I may have done her an injustice :(

It's not an injustice. It's easy to get attached to fish. Right now my oldest platy, the one that survived when her two friends died, is precious to me too. I call my new red wag platy "the other red one." It's kinda mean actually.

As long as you get her some friends to be happy with, she'll be fine.

O have a beta in a ten and he's great. I tried keeping him with ghost shrimp but over a few days they all disappeared. He does get along with ember tetras though and I'd recommend those since they do better in smaller tanks than a lot of larger tetras.

Oh I looked up ember tetras as I had never heard of those and they are very attractive and I think will make a nice addition to my tank :) after Christmas though as hubby told me no more u til then. He won't notice if I sneak in more plants though lol

Ember tetras are indeed pretty cool. I, too am on fish buying restriction until after Christmas LOL!

On another note, the platy died :( I'd had her a really long time and she'd had many, many fry. I think it was just her time. I am very sad :( But now the betta has the tank to himself.

They are pretty cool. They stay nice and small but are still beautiful and look great against a black background/substrate. Both the tetras and the betas seem to do well with live plants so I'd recommend some. If you haven't done live plants before I'd recommend something like anubias or java fern that is fairly low maintenance. :)

Bettas are my favorite. A big snail will liven up the tank, and you could even get some Cory cats if you had some coverage.
They have really cute logs at petsmart and Cory's would love to go through it, and theyre always at the bottom and relatively quick.
Get sinking food for them and you'll see them snatch it up. Plus they're super cute! :)

If you're looking for something more mid level or top water fish, go for the little danios. They have black stripes down them. Pretty bland fish but you can get just about a school of them and theyll be happy. He might chase them some but they'll mostly keep to themselves.
I recommend you feed them on separate sides of the tank.

Shrimp are also really neat, but sadly, a lot of times a Betta will make them a treat. If you had a lot of java moss then they'd be able to hide well, but theyre really cute and neat if he doesn't mess with them.

They are pretty cool. They stay nice and small but are still beautiful and look great against a black background/substrate. Both the tetras and the betas seem to do well with live plants so I'd recommend some. If you haven't done live plants before I'd recommend something like anubias or java fern that is fairly low maintenance. :)

I have wisteria, not enough for my liking though and I have brown gravel brown drift wood and a brown fake hiding place, you would think I like brown lol but the wisteria helps brighten it up. My betta spends a lot of time rubbing up against the plants the tetras seem to hang out together out front when they are not swimming lol
I love zebra danios and they make a nice addition I am torn between them and Siamese flying fox
Sooty to hear the Platy passed always sad to lose a pet.

Back
Top Bottom