Betta owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I put a betta in a 10 gallon filtered tank? There are three neons and a female platy in it now. The tank is well established and params are good. Just curious about bettas and a filtered tank.

Bettas should be in a filtered tank. Honestly it would be awesome in a 10 gallon filtered tank. Provided your filtration isn't too strong causing a bad current.

My concern would be the other fish though. He may not like the company. Neons are active fish and can also stress some betta out. It's really up to him if he wants the company.

You really should built up on that school of neons though. If you can I'd rehome them/get them a bigger tank and build up their numbers.

Bettas should be in a filtered tank. Honestly it would be awesome in a 10 gallon filtered tank. Provided your filtration isn't too strong causing a bad current.

My concern would be the other fish though. He may not like the company. Neons are active fish and can also stress some betta out. It's really up to him if he wants the company.

You really should built up on that school of neons though. If you can I'd rehome them/get them a bigger tank and build up their numbers.

Actually, I've been thinking of moving the neons to one of my larger tanks anyway. And I suppose I could move the platy if he doesn't like her. And there's not a lot of water movement in the tank. This excites me! LOL! LFS tomorrow for a betta and a few more neons it is. Is there any fish I could add in there that he won't mind? Seems like it would be better to add them together if I wanted something else in there with him. I've never kept bettas.

I'll post some photos once I get him.

Actually, I've been thinking of moving the neons to one of my larger tanks anyway. And I suppose I could move the platy if he doesn't like her. And there's not a lot of water movement in the tank. This excites me! LOL! LFS tomorrow for a betta and a few more neons it is. Is there any fish I could add in there that he won't mind? Seems like it would be better to add them together if I wanted something else in there with him. I've never kept bettas.

I'll post some photos once I get him.

It really depends on his temperament. Every one is different. I just saw 2 lovely betta in 2 10 gallon tanks, each with guppies . This is generally a big giant no. lol. Then some won't even allow snails or shrimp to be with them without tormenting them.

I would try him with something that you could keep your larger tank if things don't work out. You could try him first with the platy and see how it goes since you already have it. Or you could stick with some shrimp or snails.

The main thing is not to get another fish with the same fins try to avoid anything that looks kind of like a Betta...

I think I'll just leave the platy in there for now. If he likes/tolerates her, good. If not, he gets the tank to himself! He's already spoiled and I haven't even picked him out yet....

Alright I am by no means an expert but I have never had trouble with Bettas and tetras. Right now I am stocked with one betta and five glow light tetras (20g)and everyone is happy. Our betta was curious when the tetras were added but not aggressive towards them.

In the past I have neons and albino tetras in with another betta and they were fine as well.

Yeah just try and see. My betta was in a 10 gallon with a filter with 5 neon tetras and 2 snails and he was fine. My other likes his tank to himself.

Crowntail Betta. He's been in the tank since Monday with the female platy and both are doing great!

Attachments

• IMAG1030-1.jpg
    IMAG1030-1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 106
My Bettas both have filtered tanks and they do just fine. I also have shrimp and snails with mine and I am thinking of adding a dwarf clawed frog.
You Betta is beautiful!

I have a male betta in a 125 gallon community tank with 20 other larger fish. There have been no issues. The fish was shy and scared for 3-4 weeks, but eventually the fish adjusted. The betta hangs out on the left side of the tank. The older section that's heavily planted. The Betta also joins in the feeding frenzy and always manages to get a few brine shrimp.

I look at bettas as rescue fish. Just don't like seeing them in those 8 ounce cups.

I would recommend some nice live plants for them to be able to hide and stay separated, visually, especially.

Also some soft leaved plant, my Betta's favorite is the Banana plant, the leaves are ideally shaped for the fish to rest in. Also Java moss is nice, mine rests on it as well. You can also lay some long pieces loose in the top, like Elodea.

Make sure if you have any artificial plants with sharp, and/or jagged leaves they may not be great for the Betta's fins.

Fish companions just depend on your Betta. The filtered tank is great. That size tank will make a nice home for him.

I would recommend some nice live plants for them to be able to hide and stay separated, visually, especially.

Also some soft leaved plant, my Betta's favorite is the Banana plant, the leaves are ideally shaped for the fish to rest in. Also Java moss is nice, mine rests on it as well. You can also lay some long pieces loose in the top, like Elodea.

Make sure if you have any artificial plants with sharp, and/or jagged leaves they may not be great for the Betta's fins.

Fish companions just depend on your Betta. The filtered tank is great. That size tank will make a nice home for him.

Would any of those plants work with an incandescent light? this tank is in my room and while I love the fluorescent lights in the other tanks throughout the house. I love the muted light of the incandescent in my bedroom. Fluorescent would be too bright. What about water wisteria? I have a bunch of that growing quite well in another tank.

My Banana plants have been in low light tanks with incandescent, fluorescent, natural indirect sunlight or nearly dark lol, they have all grown.

As an interesting side note: The one I had in very low light continued to grow but its Banana roots disappeared and I have really long regular roots instead after the fixture light broke (was 15W in a 2.5 gallon). The plant still has a few leaves in good condition. Just moved it to a room with better natural light.

I add liquid Aqueon (it was on sale and much cheaper when I bought it than the other brand) aquatic plant food periodically.

As for the Wisteria, I remember reading some things about it and I didn't want it in my tank personally, but you could use it, it is soft. It was a weird thing about it and maybe using up too much nitrogen maybe can't really remember for sure, (don't have time now to look it up) but decided I would just skip it.

I'd add some more platies. They're social fish and although they don't school they like to have friends. Just stick with a ratio of one male to every three females.

I'd add some more platies. They're social fish and although they don't school they like to have friends. Just stick with a ratio of one male to every three females.
Ironically, I just rehomed all my live bearers...mostly platies. Exept the one female. But I do feel like she may be lonely. I may get another female and try it.

Ironically, I just rehomed all my live bearers...mostly platies. Exept the one female. But I do feel like she may be lonely. I may get another female and try it.

I'd definitely do that. Platies get lonely. Once two of my platies died, leaving the third all alone, and she was really sad for those few days she was alone, always sulking and not wanting to eat. As soon as I got her some new friends, she instantly was happy again, perhaps happier, was swimming around and eating like the little piggy she is. If you get another platy try to get one of the same color because I find that they prefer platies that look like them.

Back
Top Bottom