Betta Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys my halfmoon betta has these two fin things coming out of his tail fin much like a crowntail would have. Could he be a mixed breed or something? Kinda new to halfmoons; this is my first so I didn't know if this is normal.

ForumRunner_20120830_221457.jpg

I hope this pic will help any.

It looks to me like he has/had tail rot because his tail is really short, even for an HM. My guess is that part of the tail is now growing back. How long have you had him for?

Maybe 3 months he acks like he is a normal happy betta but I notice the tail a while back but I didn't think it was tailrot because from my exp the bettas ack different and you can just see it rotting off but again my exp. But I could be wrong.

Well, I can't think of any other reason that the tail would be so stumpy. The edges look good now, so I am thinking maybe tail rot before you got him that has cleared up. If somebody else has a better idea though, I am sure they will chime in. I know what you mean about the ones with tail rot usually acting sick. IME with fin/tail rot, that is not always the case though. That tail is way smaller than a HM tail should be.
All the new growth looks good though, so as long as the fish is acting fine now, I would say don't worry about it and watch it grow some nice fins. :)

Thanks for the info. I will watch cause sad to say usually after fin/tail rot I know the fins come back looking 10x better. Yeah he isn't my only betta with issues; my crowntail is a resuced betta from a vicious German Blue Ram attack but I have him now and patching him up while in his new 10 gal so I know he is one happy camper ;)

ForumRunner_20120830_230250.jpg

Just a little camera shy too

Back
Top Bottom