Betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esaone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a betta today to put in my 10 gallon tank.
What, if any fish can I put with this Betta?

I don't have bettas with community fish. I've read that cory cats are compatible with bettas. There are members here with a betta and cories in their 10 gallon tanks. The cories usually stay at the bottom of the tank, out of the betta's way.

You could try some ghost shrimp. However, it seems to be 50-50 whether the betta will get along with the shrimp (i.e. ignore!) or eat the shrimp! I had a ghost shrimp in with my betta. The betta was very curious and wouldn't leave the shrimp alone in peace! The shrimp died, but I don't know that I can blame the betta. Others here have had a betta and a shrimp together and everything was fine.

I have seen a group of tetras gang up on and nip a betta. A group of tetras may attack or harrass a slow-moving fish like a betta.

Guppies won't get along with a betta either. A guppy's bright colors and long fins may make the betta think that the guppy is another betta, so the betta would probably attack the guppy.

Oh yes, one of those big snails would be nice.

Even though this is a 10 gallon tank, I would still keep the betta in mind when getting a filter. Some of the HOBs like AquaClear (which is a great filter) may be a bit strong for a betta. Bettas don't like current or fast water movement. I have sponge filters in my betta tanks, run through a gang valve to lessen the force of the air coming from the airpump. There's a picture in my gallery of the airpump and gang valve set-up.

I had 3 Ivory snails and 6 ghost shrimp in with my Betta and they were all as happy as clams. Moving them was more of an experiment, not because they didn't get along. Try this site for compatibilty:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm

It says that Guppies are ok to put with them but An t-iasg says otherwise. I've personally never had them together so I can't comment.

I have both a male and female Betta in my community 75 gallon tank, which has loads of other fish -- tiger barbs, tetras, angelfish, loaches, livebearers, you name it. Both get along fine with each other and everyone else. There is some acclimation involved, like the Betta may be picked on at first. You can trying waiting this out, or be ready to give the Betta its own tank.

See that is what I was wondering about.
At my LFS I once saw a male Beta with a bunch of other fish.
I didn't really pay any attention to what it was with because I kept nothing but Cichlids at the time.

In the 75 gallon tank, each fish or school of fish has their own territory because it's a big tank. That's no guarantee that the betta and tetras would get along, but it's a better chance than in a smaller tank. In the 10 gallon, I can just about guarantee that the betta with a group of tetras, for example, will not work out well. The betta will claim the 10 gallon as his territory since it's fairly small. The cories, being bottom dwellers for the most part, will stay out of the betta's way, if you would put cories in with the betta.

At the lfs, the betta probably was in a "betta condo" -- a clear plastic box that allows water flow but keeps the betta separate from the other fish in the tank. That is a better way for lfs to keep bettas than in the little cups. You probably couldn't see this box unless you were standing right beside the tank.

Yes, cories are a good idea as well as snails. I've also heard it's about a 50/50 chance with shrimp. Being a ten gallon, I would also definately not try tetras or a female. I second An t-iasg. If you want to attempt it anyway, yes, make sure you have a backup plan. I have succesfully kept bettas in a community tank, but I gave him his own hiding place to go if he needed to. Thing is though, he often ended up trying to school with my bala's and pictus cats! LOL He was a riot. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these guys anymore. My 55 is completely different now. For the home I made for my betta, check in my gallery. Look at "Baccus Lair". That was his home. I currently have that setup now in my 29 and 7 for my bettas. They really like it. Also helps too, if they don't feel like dealing with the waterflow from the HOB like was mentioned. Gives a quiet place to go.

Bettas are all different but I have one male with a pitbull pleco and cories , had him with white clouds .. and ghost shrimp and various snails... no trouble

My plakat female betta kills some snails and all ghost shrimp yet is great with the three white clouds ....

My third one is male and likes his condo on a shelf with only some snails..

I tried it

I tried one in my female guppy tank. Everyones playing nice after a week :D but of coarse YMMV.
also has some albino cat's and algae eating shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom