Betta rarely leaves his heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellithain

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Betta is in a 20 gallon tank and I use a Marineland Visi-Therm Submersible Aquarium Heater 100 watts which said it should be good for 29 gallons. The thermometer on the heater shows the tank is at 80 degrees yet my betta refuses to move away from it. He is constantly floating in the same place by the heater unless I'm feeding him. I don't think he's sick so I didn't put this in the "ill fish" part of the forum.. could just be a character quirk but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this with their bettas? I checked the water parameters today as well PH of 7.5, no detectable levels of nitrites, nitrates or ammonia. I do about 30% water changes every day to every other day depending on how busy I am. Btw is that too much? I'm new to the hobby so maybe I'm over doing it?

First I'd check the temp of the tank far away from the heater using a thermometer, the one of the heater may be faulty. Second, what other fish and decor is in the tank?

the heat on the otherside of the tank is 79 so only a degree of difference and I have a piece of driftwood with java fern, and two plastic hides for my pleco. Its just him and the pleco neither of them seem to even notice eachother.

What do you use for a filter? It could be that the flow irritates him and near the heater is a comfortable place for him to be.

Ohhh that's a good point! I was thinking my filter is a bit strong for him and that I would need to make adjustments to it here soon to fix it.. he does tend to get pushed around by the flow of the water a bit.

Okay I made some adjustments to my filter it seems to be more reasonable now. Thank you plastic bottles and youtube tutorials!

Back
Top Bottom