Betta sorority?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaMonkey243

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gallon tank so far, and no it hasn't been set up yet bc I have to finish painting my room and getting new furniture in but once it's all done I'll begin cycling and such. But my big worry is about stocking it Bc lately I've been wanting to have a betta but I couldn't find fish that I liked which would also work well with the betta. So I've been thinking about possibly starting a betta sorority with just 6 girls in my 10g tank. I'll be providing lots of plants and shelter and hiding places for them. And I wish I had a bigger tank to provide but this was all I could come up with. What do you guys think? Is it safe for them to be in the 10 gallon, I mean I've read that they prefer either more girls or more crowded or something, but I'm just nervous about it. Just let me know if you think this will work and any tips for starting a sorority would be so so amazing. Thank you ahead of time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I looked into Betta sororities a lot when I first wanted a bigger tank. So I have read about them a lot. I thought that's what I wanted to do but I quickly changed my mind when I saw bigger fish.

From what I have read a 10 gal is the minimum and you should be good with that. I wouldn't overcrowd them. I think 6 would be your limit in a 10 gal.

Make sure to add them all at once! So let your tank fully cycle before you get them. If you can't add them all at once and just want to add a few at a time then everything you add a new one you will have to take the old ones out, rearrange the decor, and put them in at the same time.

Betta sororities are very pretty but I have not tried one yet.

Try to make sure you don't have too much current in your tank. It will stress them out and make it harder for them to swim. Also be sure to have plenty of plant cover like you said. It's also a good idea to have a quarantine or spare tank. This is incase your bettas start fighting you can separate them. It's all in the luck of the draw really. You could get very mean females or calm females that will work fine together.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I looked into Betta sororities a lot when I first wanted a bigger tank. So I have read about them a lot. I thought that's what I wanted to do but I quickly changed my mind when I saw bigger fish.

From what I have read a 10 gal is the minimum and you should be good with that. I wouldn't overcrowd them. I think 6 would be your limit in a 10 gal.

Make sure to add them all at once! So let your tank fully cycle before you get them. If you can't add them all at once and just want to add a few at a time then everything you add a new one you will have to take the old ones out, rearrange the decor, and put them in at the same time.

Betta sororities are very pretty but I have not tried one yet.

Try to make sure you don't have too much current in your tank. It will stress them out and make it harder for them to swim. Also be sure to have plenty of plant cover like you said. It's also a good idea to have a quarantine or spare tank. This is incase your bettas start fighting you can separate them. It's all in the luck of the draw really. You could get very mean females or calm females that will work fine together.

Good luck!

Thank you so so much for helping me out with this!!! So then six will be all the bettas I will add to my tank. Ummmm do you have any other tips for starting a sorority tank?? I'm nervous for doing this and I just wanna get it all right for them. Thank you again

No problem. I'm trying to remember everything I have read about it.

Here's a step by step on what I would do to set up a soroity:

1) Cycle your tank, get yourself a test kit if you have not already. There are a few articles on cycling a tank of you don't know already.

2) Decor. Have a lot plants and decorations where the fish can hide if they get stressed. Floating plants of some sort would probably also help to calm down the fish.

3) Picking out the females. Make sure to get healthy looking fish. Also try your best to add them all at once. I also read if you get females when they are younger they will grow up with each other and get along better. Don't get one that looks really fiesty, or mean. It will probably be the bully of the tank.

4) Interaction. Know that yes, they are still going to fight each other. They are called fighting fish for a reason. When you first get your bettas they will chase and nip each other to figure out their pecking order. This shouldn't last too long. Maybe a day or few and then it should settle down. I'd say if the fish are still fighting after the first week you may have a problem and might have to rehome one of the bully fish. You could do this by taking that fish out for awhile. See what your tank atmosphere is without it there. And then if that was the problem you might need to take that one out of the picture all together.
Just know that nipped fins and chasing is going to be part of this tank. For that reason I would suggest keeping a bottle of Melafix handy or another fin healing medicine.

5) Feeding might be a little tricky. If you have the boss of the tank chasing everyone away from the food you will have to make sure everyone eats somehow. By distracting them or separating them etc.

That's really all I can think about. Good luck with your tank. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

No problem. I'm trying to remember everything I have read about it.

Here's a step by step on what I would do to set up a soroity:

1) Cycle your tank, get yourself a test kit if you have not already. There are a few articles on cycling a tank of you don't know already.

2) Decor. Have a lot plants and decorations where the fish can hide if they get stressed. Floating plants of some sort would probably also help to calm down the fish.

3) Picking out the females. Make sure to get healthy looking fish. Also try your best to add them all at once. I also read if you get females when they are younger they will grow up with each other and get along better. Don't get one that looks really fiesty, or mean. It will probably be the bully of the tank.

4) Interaction. Know that yes, they are still going to fight each other. They are called fighting fish for a reason. When you first get your bettas they will chase and nip each other to figure out their pecking order. This shouldn't last too long. Maybe a day or few and then it should settle down. I'd say if the fish are still fighting after the first week you may have a problem and might have to rehome one of the bully fish. You could do this by taking that fish out for awhile. See what your tank atmosphere is without it there. And then if that was the problem you might need to take that one out of the picture all together.
Just know that nipped fins and chasing is going to be part of this tank. For that reason I would suggest keeping a bottle of Melafix handy or another fin healing medicine.

5) Feeding might be a little tricky. If you have the boss of the tank chasing everyone away from the food you will have to make sure everyone eats somehow. By distracting them or separating them etc.

That's really all I can think about. Good luck with your tank. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Ohmygosh I can't begin to thank you enough for this. I'm really going to be looking back to this for when I'm setting up the tank and picking out my fish. Once again, thank you so so so much!!!!

Back
Top Bottom