Betta sorority

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Could I keep a sorority in a community tank??? I found a local store who already has them all together in perfect harmony and would take my bloodfins if I couldn't keep them in it but

Well it depends the fish in the tank must be very peaceful. And the tank must be big, to give the betta’s enough room. How big is you tank? Also lots of hiding places are necessary so if they get aggressive the bullied betta can hide

It's a twenty gallon, and it's heavily planted though I'll add more before I get them

Depends. You already know the bit about making sure you have space and ample hiding places for the fish. What other fish are in the community? You mentioned bloodfin tetras. Many sorority keepers have some sort of small schooling fish like tetras in with their sororities as dither fish. If it was me, I would try it out and see how it goes. If it seems like it would be bad for the tetras, take them out and sell them to the store for credit.
Heads up: sororities are very difficult long term. Just keep an eye on everybody and give aggressors a time out if needed. I advise having a "plan b" containment plan available for a fish in case you end up with a trouble maker or a perpetual victim.
Good luck. Take pictures!

Depends. You already know the bit about making sure you have space and ample hiding places for the fish. What other fish are in the community? You mentioned bloodfin tetras. Many sorority keepers have some sort of small schooling fish like tetras in with their sororities as dither fish. If it was me, I would try it out and see how it goes. If it seems like it would be bad for the tetras, take them out and sell them to the store for credit.
Heads up: sororities are very difficult long term. Just keep an eye on everybody and give aggressors a time out if needed. I advise having a "plan b" containment plan available for a fish in case you end up with a trouble maker or a perpetual victim.
Good luck. Take pictures!

Thank you!!! I originally had a male betta in here and they did perfect together! Though, he despised my neons enough to commit murder overnight so---, he's been moved into his own tank<3 I just love bettas so I'm hoping this works out!

Back
Top Bottom