Betta space?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say 2.5 gallons, but 5 would be much better. You would not believe the difference in them, when they have some room to move and plants to play in.

it really depends on a number of factors including water changes and if the tank has a filter.
a Large goldfish bowl (5 gallons) is perfect (with a small aquaclear mini power filter).

i say 3 gallons is the bare minimum with no filter.

I ask because my friend got her bettas to mate, and wants to give me one.
I wanted to put it alone on the corner of my computer desk.
But I want it in something small.

Something like a 3 or 5 gallon Eclipse might be the perfect solution. They really aren't too large for being on a desk, and having the filter above leads to more interior tank space. You can save a little money going with a minibow, but they also come with incandescent lighting rather than fluorescent and have the filter inside the tank.

I was looking at Dr. Foster and Smith and they have the 3 gallon Eclipse on sale for $35, and you might be able to find a better price on Big Al's, or one of the other sites...not sure what shipping would add though. There's a 5 gallon hex version that's only 13" from point to point as well. I would say the hex tank would be the the ideal form factor for a desk.

The heater is something to consider. If your office stays at something like 72 degrees you might be ok without one, but bettas do like mid to high 70's for temp. If the temp stays low, due to air conditioning, the heater really is necessary to get proper behavior from them.

Back
Top Bottom