Betta stuck in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my betta veil tale in a 5.5 gallon. And when I came home his tale was stuck on the filter

Is this normal?
And what can I do to help with his tail injury.?

My betta use to do that when he would rest. He loved it and he loved swimming into the outfow of the filter!

He's either one of those bettas that likes to stick to the filter, or he's sick. Keep an eye on him.

The thing is when I tried helping him to get unstuck he literally could not get off. It was sad //: now his tail is really messed up. Torn in many places.

I have had my filter off since the incident. Should I turn it back on tonight or wait till morning?

Oh no! He has been doing so good the last past few weeks.

Should I do a water change?

What are the parameters of the tank? It can help to add a sponge over the filter intake. It will diffuse the water flow.

A water change is almost never a bad idea. Go for it.

Meds can put stress on the fish and your filter, I would stick to water changes, by far the best thing you can do plus a good diet, in time he will heal. Good luck!

Get the small bottle of Melefix. It is all natural and fixes the tail fast. I am currently using it

I forgot to mention this - Don't use melafix for bettas! It can interfere with their labyrinth organ and kill them.

Generally a healthy fish will not get stuck to the filter.

I would watch mine swim up and wait for it to get stuck and every now and then he would get off it for air and go back to the pickup tube. Or he would rest on plant leaves and do the same thing

I have my betta veil tale in a 5.5 gallon. And when I came home his tale was stuck on the filter

Is this normal?
And what can I do to help with his tail injury.?

Does your tank happen to be the 5.5 Fluval Spec?

No it's a top fin brand. Why?

Oh cause my betta would get stuck in the part that sucked the water in and I put some mesh and that solved the problem. Now he constantly swims to the power head and gets blown away by the current lol.

That's exactly where mine gets stuck at. It really worries me.

What did you use and how?

That's exactly where mine gets stuck at. It really worries me.

What did you use and how?

If you live near a Pet Emporium (idk about the other stores, but they will most likely sell it) you can buy something that is used to hold filter media, meaning carbon. Mine was white and it came with two different layers (one with smaller holes, and one with bigger holes) and I cut it to size to place on top of the intake. He didn't get stuck anymore after that cause the mesh won't let him. I took it out and he no longer has that problem anyways. I used the fabric with the bigger holes to let water pass though it. This is a pic of how the intake looks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391996124.059049.jpg this is what I used.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391996227.646429.jpg

If you can, turn your pump to the lowest it can so he doesn't get pulled into the intake. It helped at least for me since that pump does 83 gallons per hour for a 5.6 gallon aquarium :p to help his injury, do some water changes and use API stress coat. btw, mine actually got fin rot from tears that maybe yours has from the filter, but mine caused it by biting himself and it got infected. If this just so happens to you, use Stress Coat from API first; if that doesn't work, I used Maracyn Two and that worked well :)

Back
Top Bottom