Betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that Bettas aren't the most active fish...however, in my experience the females seem to have more spunk. Less fin to haul around, I suppose. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just so you know it won't be safe to put the male in the same tank as the female. Also, most people on the forum say that betas should have at minimum 5g, in order for them to be comfortable and active. A heater and filter are also highly recommended, but may not necessary in a self sufficient planted tank (filter), or if you live in an area where heaters aren't necessary because the temp is around 78F.

;D yes!! Of course I know that!! Haha that's why I made this post trying to find another tank! And I'm leaning towards the 5 gallon after hearing stuff and doing research. Would defiantly have a filter and heater and plants.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm guessing Cherokee knew this as they've been asking about tanks for the male. Good info though.

I think I'm going to hold off for a little bit... I just moved my female out of my crowded 10 gallon to a more peaceful 5 gallon. So now both tanks look better, and I'm happy for now!

Sent from my iPhone

Ok. If your fish have any problems shoot me a message

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Isn't it funny how much we fish people change our minds? I bought a bio wheel filter tonight. Put it in, hated the sound. Put old filter back but read reviews saying bio wheels were good. Put bio wheel back.....got annoyed with sound and put old filter back. No fish in tank as I just set it up but I'm sure I looked like an insane person.

Haha!! Well I would still love to get one but my mom said that we arent doing Christmas presents and that's when I was planning to get it, but oh well

Sent from my iPhone

I have the 3 gallon Marineland Crescent too. The fish has been in several homes, from 1 to 10 gallons, and he's been lost active alone in the 3.

After substrate and such, it holds 9 quarts of water. For this reason I also don't suggest a tank rated at 2 gallons. Unless you're an experienced water keeper already.

I had repeated Cyanobacteria problems until I added plants. I added a lot (the tank is quite full), including floating plants. Then the tank stabilized and needed 50% weekly water changes to keep nitrates below 20 (another reason I recommend 3 gallons or up).

Then my filter broke. And I followed Fishfur's note about filter free with plants. Funny thing is the tank isn't just fine, it's better (no ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates go down between water changes, where they used to go up).

Now I wouldn't necessarily recommend going filter free right away. But maybe consider getting the 3-5 gallon, packing it very full of plants, and if everything is going well after a few months, turn the filter off and test the water and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I am so pleased to hear the 'plant filtration' idea worked for your fish, trennamw ! I also find the nitrates tend to get lower.. frequently they test at zero.

I'm finding that since the heating system here was changed.. [ wretched landlord, grrrrr ].. I'm going to have to find a way to give my Bettas in the bedroom some heat. So long as it didn't drop below 76 they were ok, but now they're getting too cold at night, poor guys.

I think I'm going to divide a 10G for 3 of the Bettas. I'll run it just like I have the 2.5s, but they can share one heater. I think I have come up with a good way to divide the tank so they can't see each other and won't be able to bypass the dividers either. Neodymium magnets, siliconed into vertical holders with plastic canvas mesh fitted in between. Another magnet will hold them from the outside of the glass.. no suction cup to wear out. Guess I'll find out if the idea works or not.

Ok thank you all of the information!! I would defiantly do a planted tank even if I have a filter :) looks much better is there are plants!

Sent from my iPhone

I am so pleased to hear the 'plant filtration' idea worked for your fish, trennamw ! I also find the nitrates tend to get lower.. frequently they test at zero.

I'm finding that since the heating system here was changed.. [ wretched landlord, grrrrr ].. I'm going to have to find a way to give my Bettas in the bedroom some heat. So long as it didn't drop below 76 they were ok, but now they're getting too cold at night, poor guys.

I think I'm going to divide a 10G for 3 of the Bettas. I'll run it just like I have the 2.5s, but they can share one heater. I think I have come up with a good way to divide the tank so they can't see each other and won't be able to bypass the dividers either. Neodymium magnets, siliconed into vertical holders with plastic canvas mesh fitted in between. Another magnet will hold them from the outside of the glass.. no suction cup to wear out. Guess I'll find out if the idea works or not.

You'll have to post photos.

My fish have been a little more active since having a heater.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom