Betta tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night I order a Petco 360 view aquarium quit 2g. I want to use this for my Betta to upgrade his house from a fish bowl to a 2 gallons tank. My question is, is it okay to add distill water and add the fish like I did when I first put him on his bowl? I've had him for 2 months and every time I change the water I use distill water and he is a happy fish.

Distilled water is generally a poor choice for fish. It lacks nutrients and can have huge ph swings due to a lack of buffering. Its much better to use dechlorinated tap.

Distilled water is generally a poor choice for fish. It lacks nutrients and can have huge ph swings due to a lack of buffering. Its much better to use dechlorinated tap.

So I guess I'll do fish less cycle once it arrives

What I do is add a base layer of nutrient rich substrate, fill up the whole tank with plants, including floating ones which suck up nitrates, add the betta, add a few drops of a good bacteria supplement (I use Seachem Stability) and you're good to go. Change 20% of the water and replace with declorinated tap. I've never had a problem and my betta is super happy. Plants are the best natural biological filter there is! Especially if it's just a betta and you don't add other fish, you're golden.

What I do is add a base layer of nutrient rich substrate, fill up the whole tank with plants, including floating ones which suck up nitrates, add the betta, add a few drops of a good bacteria supplement (I use Seachem Stability) and you're good to go. Change 20% of the water and replace with declorinated tap. I've never had a problem and my betta is super happy. Plants are the best natural biological filter there is! Especially if it's just a betta and you don't add other fish, you're golden.

Thanks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom