Betta tank advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya, I agree, the betta would probably be the one to survive, buts its not worth the stress, to you or the fish, if you err to put them together.

I disagree. Swordtails and platies are much faster swimmers than the beta. I doubt he could beat them up. I think it might be at least worth a try to add him to your community tank if it means saving money on having to buy a whole new tank. It might not work, but in my opinion it's worth a try :)

betta aggresion

you might try putting an indian almond leaf in with them it sometimes has a calming affect but also it will put antioxidants on water which will aid in help healing any stress or ( nerves)

Many Betta's do fine in community tanks. I have 4 male Betta's in my 220g, 1 Betta in a 12g community tank, and 1 Betta in it's own tank as it has a bad temperament. If you put him in the community tank it's not as big a stressor as you think because they have a lot of room to swim and explore. If it doesn't work out he can always be returned to his original tank.

One other thing you can do is if you have a craft store, we have Micheal's here in Saint Louis, which is a big chain of craft stores that carry's latch hooking supplies. Ours has small opening plastic, colored latch hook backing squares that you can easily use against the divider on one side.

As for buying plants online it's often cheaper paying retail price for a few plants than buying cheaper plants online but having to pay for shipping. Plus you have to take into consideration the type of lighting you have as that will determine what plants you can actually grow in your tank.

Many Betta's do fine in community tanks. I have 4 male Betta's in my 220g, 1 Betta in a 12g community tank, and 1 Betta in it's own tank as it has a bad temperament. If you put him in the community tank it's not as big a stressor as you think because they have a lot of room to swim and explore. If it doesn't work out he can always be returned to his original tank.

One other thing you can do is if you have a craft store, we have Micheal's here in Saint Louis, which is a big chain of craft stores that carry's latch hooking supplies. Ours has small opening plastic, colored latch hook backing squares that you can easily use against the divider on one side.

As for buying plants online it's often cheaper paying retail price for a few plants than buying cheaper plants online but having to pay for shipping. Plus you have to take into consideration the type of lighting you have as that will determine what plants you can actually grow in your tank.

I live near Saint Louis, lol. Do you have any suggestions on where I can get live plants? Petsmart only has so many and they are kept in this little tub things. I thought about taking a trip to Petco. The one near my closed so most of them are about 10-15 minutes away now. :blink:

I'll check out Micheal's. I haven't thought about going there.

The only place in Saint Louis that has any plants but you need to call to see if they even got them in is Aqua World at 314-772-0100. They are in the city. I won't buy from them but they do sometimes have a decent selection. Pet Smarts now carry a ton of various plants in boxes that are a good deal. Might be too much for what you need tho. Pet Co and actually to some degree Pet Smart both sell plants that aren't fully aquatic so be careful what you buy. Look up the name of the plant/s before you buy them to be sure they are fully aquatic. Some of the plants they sell that you DON'T want to buy are White Ribbon Plant, Mondo Grass, Lucky Bamboo, Purple Waffle Plant, and various Ferns just to name a few.

If you go to a Micheals look in the latch hook section or close to it as most carry plastic shapes along with different colored squares (I use the black) to use in small latch hook projects. They are about $.80 a square, plastic, and perfect for aquarium use.

The only place in Saint Louis that has any plants but you need to call to see if they even got them in is Aqua World at 314-772-0100. They are in the city. I won't buy from them but they do sometimes have a decent selection. Pet Smarts now carry a ton of various plants in boxes that are a good deal. Might be too much for what you need tho. Pet Co and actually to some degree Pet Smart both sell plants that aren't fully aquatic so be careful what you buy. Look up the name of the plant/s before you buy them to be sure they are fully aquatic. Some of the plants they sell that you DON'T want to buy are White Ribbon Plant, Mondo Grass, Lucky Bamboo, Purple Waffle Plant, and various Ferns just to name a few.

If you go to a Micheals look in the latch hook section or close to it as most carry plastic shapes along with different colored squares (I use the black) to use in small latch hook projects. They are about $.80 a square, plastic, and perfect for aquarium use.

Thanks for the information. I have three tanks so the petsmart box thing might actually work out. I have then 10, 15, and now a 29 gallon. Future plan is to get between a 55 up to 75 gallon tank (we haven't figured out how big we want to go yet). So, it might actually work out.

I like going to Malawi Aquatics in Florissant but they don't sell live plants as far as I know. That is where I got my betta's from and two of my swordtails.

I don't live too far from there and don't use them either. One of the best places used to be Beldt's. There is also a place, Tropical World on Watson in S. County but they are very limited in plants and very overly priced!

Another idea that you might try (takes a bit of lowgrade engineering) is to buy three or four of those 2 gallon glass punch jars with pour spouts from target or walmart. Set each one up with plants, substrate, lights and decorations. Take some silicone and fasten thin airline tubes to the spouts so that when open, they drip rather than flow. Run the tubes into the 10 gallon that the bettas were originally in. In that tank install a filter and heater that are stronger than a ten gallon tank would need. Put a submersible water pump in the tank. Attach a four-way splitter valve to the outlet and run an airline from the tank into each of the jars. Adjust the checks so that the tubes flow in the same speed as the spouts drip out. You now have homes for four male bettas, heated and filtered by a lowtech refugium, for a fraction of the cost.

Back
Top Bottom