Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Betta tank buddies? Looking for ideas.

I just picked up a 10gal/Whisper HOB Filter [ rated for 40 gal ]/hood/light at a yard sale for 5 bucks.

I have it cleaned up, fresh filter media, full and a nice thick bed of gravel and some stone decoration.

This is my male betta's tank, because hes been in his bowl so long [ rescued him from my sister ], and worse yet it was a plastic bowl that he could not see out of. He could only look up.

He really enjoys having room to swim up and down, left and right.

Well, Now I have him in there, and hes all happy. But the tank looks rather...bare.

So I was thinking of some tank buddies for him, Like bottom feeders for cleanup and such. Maybe a few betta friendly fish to.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of maybe a Fiddler Crab and some ghost shrimp to take care of the bottom feeding. But I'd like to get some other fish to keep him company.

So does anyone have any good suggestions [ form personal experiance please ] on fish that would be good with a grumpy ol' male betta?

Old 09-28-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think ghost shrimp would be ok, but I am hoping someone can answer with some certainty as I hope get get a betta with a ghost for a cleanup crew.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't think anything like shrimp or fiddlers would be a problem, I'm just worried about fish partners for this fussy old guy.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I love white clouds with bettas, because they both prefer cooler temps and seem to get along extremely well. You could get a few pygmy cory cats for the bottom, but shrimp are really cool as well. I have quite a few shrimp in a 15-gal and the amount of poop they crank out is quite startling, so don't underestimate the bioload of shrimp!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe thats why my 30gal is having trouble with ammonia, I have 2doz in the bottom of that tank..
Old 09-28-2003, 10:58 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I learned about the poop factor with shrimp when I put them in a tank with a sand bottom. I was horrified! Turd city!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its dang near impossible to grab them all..but I think I'm going to take about a dozen out of my tank now that you mention that.

I think I'll split the half up between the two 10gal tanks, maybe
Old 09-29-2003, 05:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would a CAE be good with a betta? I have one that I need to get out of the tank hes in now because I'm thinking about putting a few cory cats in there.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm afraid I don't have much advice for you, but I really do hope you get some more feedback on this, because I was wondering something similar as well.

I have a 10 gal with a dwarf gourami that is soon going to be moved into my new 29 gal. I was wondering if I could possibly put a betta in the 10 gal., his roommates would be a school of neon tetras and 2 cories. Has anyone successfully kept bettas and neon tetras together?

Bettas are such beautiful, interesting fish, and I would be thrilled if I could successfully transfer one from one of those icky pet store cups into a 10 gal, where he would be the centerpiece!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina
I'm afraid I don't have much advice for you, but I really do hope you get some more feedback on this, because I was wondering something similar as well.

I have a 10 gal with a dwarf gourami that is soon going to be moved into my new 29 gal. I was wondering if I could possibly put a betta in the 10 gal., his roommates would be a school of neon tetras and 2 cories. Has anyone successfully kept bettas and neon tetras together?

Bettas are such beautiful, interesting fish, and I would be thrilled if I could successfully transfer one from one of those icky pet store cups into a 10 gal, where he would be the centerpiece!
My betta is a ugly, fussy old goat :p

I tried to introduce him awhile ago to my community tank, and he attacked everyone. Even a Bala Shark that was 3 times his size! 8O

The only thing he seemed to have no problems with was my Peacock eel, and the eel LOOOOOOOVED the betta, always hanging around it.. trying to lay on it, for lack of a better word...nuzzling it. everything 8O

Note: The pics are blurry cause he won't stand still! hes green on one side, blue on the other, and his body is strange.. almost albino in some places, with specks of blue on others.

Tags
betta, die, tan, tank buddies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com