Betta Tank is set up.....but how to clean it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi...I have a medium size glass vase with gravel, live plant, spring water, and one betta. My question is this....how to do water changes without disturbing the betta too much? Any ideas or info very welcome...thanks.

It's hard not to disturb the betta during this process, especially in something that size. I have a one gallon vase with a betta in it. I take a cup that fits in the neck, and take the water out that way. It takes a little longer than pouring the water, and disturbs the betta less.

My concern with your post, however, is that you say spring water.....are you treating this water with anything before putting it in the vase?

Actually it's store bought bottle water. I have a 55 gallon that I have had set up 6 years. Fish are doing great...live full lives basically. Two almost full grown parrots, and five clowns {not full grown as they do in wild} , one red tail, and one pleco. Then I have a twenty nine gallon with fish that have been there one to two years....4 tiger barbs, 4 class cats, 2 blue gouramis, one chinese algae eater, one snail. But I am just new to bettas. My vase may be a gallon size also or close to it....I don't fill it to the top. I was told to use bottled spring water when bought it....but u know how that goes. Then I find that you can use your own water and treat it as you do with reg tanks. Is this true? Should I have cycled it? I have flat glass marble like things at bottom. What about vacumning as you do a reg tank? I also have a small fern like thing {forget the name} for fish tanks for the oxygen imput. Could you please give me the basics and routine on how you keep your betta happy and healthy? Thank you for ur help! Kate dkstear@bellatlantic.net

You can use just plain old tap water and a dechlorinator to do water changes. However, this may be a very different pH then you already have. So if I were you I would start doing mixed water changes until the new water you add is 100% tap. This can take place over a couple of weeks.

Make sure the betta can get to the surface of the water as well to breathe and that tehre is enough surface area to adequately oxygenate the water. Since you have no filter on this tank you will need to change the water at least twice a week, probably 30-50% to keep the betta healthy. The live plant will help keep things a bit more healthy.

When I had a small betta tank I used a really big syringe to suck the water out. Yes, it was slow but it didn't disturbe things too much. You can get some aquarium tubing and attach it to one end and also use it as a gravel vacuum.

With a small tank you must also be careful not to over feed or the water will get dirty really fast.

I keep my Betta in a 2 gallon bowl, What I do to clean it is put a cup into the water, right behind the betta. As the water rushes in it sucks the betta in without stressing him so I can clean his bowl without worry.

Then I just reverse the proccess when I put him back.

That is a good idea but I doubt you would be able to do that in a vase. Another reason why the vase is not the greatest choice for any fish.

I just use airline tubing. Just stick it in the jar and suck on the other end. Works good, but if your not careful you'll get a mouthfull of yummy fish water!

ashley

lol just a tip, in case you didn't know, if you dunk all of the tubing in the sink, or in your tank and fill it with water, you don't need to mouth siphon, and won't ever get "yummy fish water" in yer mouth!

LOL.. :) ..thanks.....I'll try the tubing method without the sucking. I'll try using a baster with bulb attached to a long tube and squeeze it until the water starts sucking out. I have used this method before. Also I think I'll look for a larger container for my Betta. And use the vase it's was in for flowers. I'm going to also put more live plants in it and get better gravel base. Glass marbles are too much of a pain.

Thanks for all of your help! :D Kate

Oh.....by the way....do you guys treat the water with anything?

Back
Top Bottom