Betta tank mate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO all I would keep with a betta are inverts in a 5 gallon. Try RCS, CRS, ghost shrimp, or a nerite snail. All are commonly found and available.

Shane l said:
RCS? And the other one ?

RCS= red cherry shrimp
CRS= crystal red shrimp

Personally I'd go with the RCS or any shrimp like them such as the blue pearl shrimp, the yellow shrimp and the snowball shrimp. I'd also suggest the tiger shrimp as well. All of those are easy to take care of and very cool to watch!

If your Betta is like mine, the shrimp are likely to be killed. I would go with a Nerite Snail.

I have a male Betta and male black Molly that are best friends. They are always right next to each other, sometimes even touching sides! I think it really depends on the individual temperament of the fish, sometimes you get lucky!

i had 2 bettas in with african cichlids that even attempted to spawn. i sold them off when a friend reeaaaally wanted them. moral of the story is its all down to the betta and theres a chance it will be ok with another fish of some sort.
ottos sound alright. maybe guppies, but the guppies have to be quite calm so they dont go after the betta's fins x

I would not keep an oto in a five gallon IMO. Too easy for water quality to go bad, and his tank is still new, judging from his previous posts and threads.

Shane l said:
Have a beautiful male betta and I want to have a tank mate maybe a shrimp that won't EAT him! But will go nicely together my tank is a 5g

In a 5 gallon I wouldn't add any other fish. There would not be enough food for ottos in such a small tank. Give shrimp a try. Start off with cheep ones. You don't want to buy the expensive ones and find out your betta loves to hunt and kill them! An apple snail would work too :)

You could try shrimp, but go for something cheap like ghosts, because they will most likely be eaten. I would add a nerite snail, once the tank has been running a few months. That's the best tankmate for a betta in a 5 gal.

Back
Top Bottom