Betta tank mates for 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
So what tank mates could be added to a 10g tank with a betta and 2 mystery snails and wont have that much bioload.

Thinking about neon tetras, but they are kinda agreesive, would 6 be good with the bettas and snails?

Hi, I'm new to the forums, but not to the hobby.

I personally wouldn't add anything else. I hear people advise against neon tetras for bettas as they are very fast and flashy, which may stress the betta out. It also depends on how aggressive your betta is. I've heard of people who would keep neons with their bettas and the betta would try to fight or even kill the tetras. :(

People commonly keep neons with bettas with no problems, so you could try it, but I would suggest getting a bigger tank like a 20g long first (if you can) so that all of the fish have more space. Neons are very active so even smaller schools need room to swim around.

The only other tankmates I would recommend for a 10g would be shrimp. Though your betta may or may not end up killing them.

Just my personal opinion. If anyone wants to add in, go ahead!
Best of luck. :D

I second SCP-079’s suggestion. One of my bettas was fine with neons but he was very old, another betta hates when he can even see the neons in the tank next to his. It’s really about the betta itself and I wouldn’t risk it in a 10g

Hi, I'm new to the forums, but not to the hobby.

I personally wouldn't add anything else. I hear people advise against neon tetras for bettas as they are very fast and flashy, which may stress the betta out. It also depends on how aggressive your betta is. I've heard of people who would keep neons with their bettas and the betta would try to fight or even kill the tetras. :(

People commonly keep neons with bettas with no problems, so you could try it, but I would suggest getting a bigger tank like a 20g long first (if you can) so that all of the fish have more space. Neons are very active so even smaller schools need room to swim around.

The only other tankmates I would recommend for a 10g would be shrimp. Though your betta may or may not end up killing them.

Just my personal opinion. If anyone wants to add in, go ahead!
Best of luck. :D
Welcome to the forum, hope you like it

You could try a Molly. I was reading up on this too. They say Molly's would be good cause they r more of a bottom feeder. But, you might wanta check into it. I think I'd only do 2 of them though. It's risky to put anything with them. Temp. Of the water for any other fish has to be the same as Betta 78-80 otherwise the other fish will get sick then your Betta and you don't want that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not recommend a molly for a ten gallon. Mollies can be bullies and need swimming room.

Pygmy cories stay small and are schooling fish, a lot of people have kept them with bettas just fine.

Only the males sometime get an attitude if there's not enough females. Probably would get lonely. That's y I say only 2. You can try 1. Think I'm gonna. That and a panda loaches. They are neat. And they don't get big. It's your call.

I've got five neons and three kuhli loaches in with my male in a 15 gallon. The neons can be nippy once in a. The loaches are great though. Very docile and they dig up the black worms that help feed the betta. He actually will hang out around them all the time. I would definitely recommend the loaches. And they are bottom feeders so they keep things tidy.

I have khuli loaches in my 10g which i will end up moving to my 29g, i think I'll end up getting some pygmy cories most likely.

Back
Top Bottom