Betta tank problem help ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my dad got me this beautiful betta. He is in my 20 gallon high. My problem is that it's quite an old tank so I don't know if they still make tanks like this anymore but the back side of the tank is like a mirror and you can see your reflection in it. So it stresses my Betta out and makes him flare. So I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this (without having to take all the water out of my tank.) Help ASAP would be great! Thanks!

<3Calypso

Would a background sticker work? Sorry not too sure what your tank is like exactly

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would a background sticker work? Sorry not too sure what your tank is like exactly

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I was thinking that but I don't think I could put one of those in with water in the tank, could I?

<3Calypso

I'd try plants ... mine is a little skittish in a 10 gallon, compared to his 5, but he's been calmer since I floated a mess of pennywort in the top.

Flaring isn't always bad, sometimes they're just playing. Are you sure he's stressed?

Yeah I've heard it's good for them to have something to flare at sometimes so they don't get bored. As long as he doesn't start throwing himself against the glass he should be fine.

If it becomes a problem, bettas love plants

Betta fish actually need to "flare" within reason. I provoke mine at least once a day to make sure he stretches his muscles. I would completely cut off the mirror to his view. He may be able to live a fairly long time, but you could increase his life by taking that entire mirror effect away.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I guess the main question is, do you get the feeling he's distressed by it, or just playing? If he's just playing he'll stop when he gets bored and he's not stressing himself out. But if he is acting like that other fish is chasing him and he's seeming to authentically pick a fight, that's another story.

I've never had a Betta that didn't seem to know, the reflection was his own not another fish. They have tiny brains, but the tiny brains only need to hold a small number of things.

Fish can always see some reflection in parts of the tank, I wouldn't stress over the mirror that much unless he's acting freaked.

I had a mirror in the tank for a bit (didn't think of sharp edges) and he was forever amusing himself with it doing laps around the mirror to see himself appear and disappear. Not much flaring, I think it was vanity :)

It's generally ill advised to keep a mirror continuously in a betta tank as it will stress them out. About the only thing I could think of that would work to stop it is to make a foam background to go in the back of your tank.

Alright, thanks guys, I'll see what I can do. I may try the plants but I have never had any live plants before and don't quite want to spend a ton on fake plants.

<3Calypso

You can always do a mix. And the classifieds here are usually cheaper than LFS- and also maybe some other sort of decoration like a flat but tall piece of wood or stone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have another suggestion. Buy some plastic canvas. It is in the craft part of stores. You can get it in different colors. Attach it to the tank wall over the mirror glass. You can put suction cups on each corner to get it to stay put. He will not be able to see his reflection through the tiny holes. You could also attach moss to it and let it grow in.

I have another suggestion. Buy some plastic canvas. It is in the craft part of stores. You can get it in different colors. Attach it to the tank wall over the mirror glass. You can put suction cups on each corner to get it to stay put. He will not be able to see his reflection through the tiny holes. You could also attach moss to it and let it grow in.

That's a pretty good idea. Thanks! I'll try to see what I can do

<3Calypso

Back
Top Bottom