Betta-Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beacious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is an Eclipse 5 gal hex ok for a male Betta? The dimensions are 13L,11 1/4W,15 1/2H, I think.

TIA

It is fine, size-wise, but I wouldn't put a male betta in an Eclipse tank. This is just my opinion, but for the betta, I would return the Eclipse and get a regular 5 gallon tank (mine is 5.5 gallons), a 25-watt heater, and a sponge filter and small air pump.

The reason I wouldn't put the betta in there is because a betta doesn't need all the filtration that comes with that tank. The bio-wheels are great filters, but they produce too much current for a betta. The Eclipse series is a little expensive, and a betta doesn't need all that. You could probably get a tank, heater, sponge filter and small air pump, gravel, and some silk plants much cheaper than the Eclipse kit. The sponge filter will provide enough filtration for the betta, and it can be run from a gang valve to allow adjustment of the air flow.

I just posted this in another topic. It can be related here too.

Bettas and power filters would definately be tricky in a hex. There's very little surface area to create a calmer current "region". I would consider either going with a different type of filter (sponge), or with a longer tank for your betta. If the power filter in generally on one side of the tank, than the other side is calm enough for betta to relax. He will learn that the other side has some "turbulence" and won't go over there if he's too tired to deal with it. He'll still get his exercise, yet won't be forced to do so.

"So a regular 5 gal and a small power (on one side) would be ok?"

Yeah just make sure you have to alot of plants in the tank and use a filter that has adjustable flowrate. Most smaller filters do 100gph which is overkill for a 5g Betta setup.

IMO a sponge filter would be a better way to go with a small tank and a betta. I'll put together a shopping list for the things you'll need.

25w heater
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28857;category_id=3231;pcid1=;pcid2=

Air Pump
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19691;category_id=2363

Sponge Filter
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22201;category_id=1725;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

Or you could try an AC Mini. You can adjust the flow but it still might be too much for a betta in such a small tank.

Aquaclear Mini
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22131;category_id=1721

That's a little pricey for me ($31.22 just for the equipment). What I thought about getting was the Aqua Culture 5 gal. It comes with tank, hood, light, and filter. Its at Wal-Mart for $29.99.

"Aqua Culture 5 gal. It comes with tank, hood, light, and filter. Its at Wal-Mart for $29.99."

Heater? Betta's need heaters too. I would advise against the cheap Wal Mart heaters, those have had a startling failure rate from my experience and a bunch of other people on this forum 8O

Hi, Beacious! If you go for the walmart kit, pick up a heater on-line (can you have someone order it for you?). How is your mice breeding going? Did you decide to start small and work your way up to a larger tank? It's great to see you are still asking questions!

Beacious, I have my betta in a 7 gal bowfront with a Penguin Biowheel mini filter and a 50 W heater. He really does not have any problems with the filter turbulence. Like CiRXSi suggested, he simply stays to one side if he doesn't feel like getting a workout.

However, I am thinking of moving the betta to a standard tank with a sponge filter.
First, I am considering getting a few more bettas and for that, I would need a bigger, divided tank.
Also, I don't think that the bowfront tank showcases the betta very well. The distorted view makes small fish like corys look cool, but its effect on the betta is not very flattering. In addition, the top frame is pretty wide and unless I were to keep the water level very low, I don't see as much of the betta as I would like. You would probably run into these same problems with the Eclipse tanks - just something to keep in mind.

I would go with a standard 5.5 gal or even a 10 gal if you have the room - they are cheaper and will allow you to keep two bettas in a divided tank. Bettas are like popcorn - you can't just have one. :)
Do get a heater - even a 25W. A sponge filter will work just as well as a biowheel for less than half the price.

HTH

Hey Menagerie!
I can prolly get a heater at Petsmart or Petco. The mice are doing great! On friday I'll sell 31 mice for 75 cents each, and buy 2 10 gallon tanks. "Did you decide to start small and work your way up to a larger tank?". Yeah pretty much. My dad and I finally fixed the 40 gal out back for our Snake (I get the 20 gal L that he is in now, today! :D ). Plus Bettas are soooooooooo cool! Oh, and guess what! My Nitrites just turned to 1.0 today (Ammonia:0.0 I'll get my nitrate test kit tomarrow or the day-after)! BTW, this is my longest post yet!

Thanks, Beacious.

That's great to hear! The snake will love the 40 gal and having smaller fish tanks will let you ease into the fish hobby!

Back
Top Bottom