Betta tank suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was at the lfs today and saw a beautiful half moon Betta, and it got me thinking that it would be nice to have a small tank for the bedroom, around 5 gallons or so. I looked online at some different options, I really like the fluval chi, but am concerned about how fast the water would evaporate, the fluval edge looks great as well but also a lot more expensive. Can anyone recommend a good 5 gallon tank for a Betta? Is it a good idea to invest in one of these fancy tanks or am I better off with something more traditional?

I had my betta in a 5 gallon bow-front. Personally, I don't care for those fancy tanks. But it's really up to you. Btw, my female betta was housed with 2 Otto cats and a mystery snail and everyone was happy. Good luck.

I like the Marineland 5 gallon bow front. A bit pricey IMHO. I tried to give my betta a 10 gallon but he hated it. This was a nice compromise. More room but still cozy for him. He is happy here. Wish I could get another for the bedroom!

Attachments

• image-1006080217.jpg
    image-1006080217.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 94
Most fish people say it should be 30g for a betta and others will say different but as long as you keep the water good then he should be fine but not as happy as in a 30g+ IMO

Also it's best to have a lid on the tank as they are jumpers ! And also a some air between the lid and water as they breath air

Mine is in a 5g bowfront. I have live plants and he's doing well. I'll try to take some updated pics for my profile. Most of my tanks are on that page. Click on my Avatar to see my tanks.

A 30g ( American Gallons ) is NOT needed IMHO. Mine lived with White Clouds in a 12g. for 6 yrs. Some will live with other fish, some won't. Each Betta is different.
Try to get a filter that has adjustable flow, if not, in a 5g he should be able to get away from it easily. Just make sure he's not being thrown around the tank.

Try adding a Java Fern, you can tie it to wood or a rock or a piece of decor. Avoid clown puke gravel, I think the bright colors stress them out. I use either natural gravel or black sand.

They love a hidey hole. Mine liked small bridges to hide under. Like a troll under his bridge :) Floating plants will help keep them happy also. Mine likes to lay on a leaf on occasion. You can get a fake Betta leaf for this purpose also.

I have mine in a fluval Flora tank.. with a school of green neons, and some ghost shrimp and a mystery snail...

** note not all bettas get along with other fish, my tank is pretty well planted, providing 2 zones of the tank. top and bottom .. I monitor very close for aggression .. the betta cones first because it is his tank, when I rescape the tank he tries to school with the neons and steal food from the shrimp (hilarious)

I would suggest this set up over a Chi or edge any day! ... the Chi has a constant trickle of water ( annoying) and the edge has no air space for the betta to breath...

the Flora or ebi kits are around $90-100 and all you need to buy is the betta and a small heater (I got a 50w from Amazon.com for like $12 ) the come with substrate, filter, light, lid (bettas will jump, I've lost 2 because I didn't use a lid) and other stuff I don't remember right now... if you do get one the styrofoam backgrounds need to(recommended) be removed.

Below is the 10 gallon my betta is in at the moment. a couple of months ago he was in a 5gal bow front. for this betta, he prefers his new tank.

IMO its down to the betta. some betta's will be fine in a 2-5gal and be happy as larry. but then some might want a bigger one. i would say get a 10gal its a nice starter size tank, get a betta and MAYBE some inverts just for a bit extra to the tank, lots of plants and bog wood etc and you'll be good to go. i researched the fluval edge for bettas and its not the greatest for them as they need space to breath and the edge barely provides that.

7020557793_d5f21f10e8_b.jpg

a.tetreault said:
So I was at the lfs today and saw a beautiful half moon Betta, and it got me thinking that it would be nice to have a small tank for the bedroom, around 5 gallons or so. I looked online at some different options, I really like the fluval chi, but am concerned about how fast the water would evaporate, the fluval edge looks great as well but also a lot more expensive. Can anyone recommend a good 5 gallon tank for a Betta? Is it a good idea to invest in one of these fancy tanks or am I better off with something more traditional?

I have mine in a fluval chi. You have to add a cup or two of water everyday. Not really a big deal for me. They also make a top for it.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fluval-...m?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c256634

I like the Marineland 5 gallon bow front. A bit pricey IMHO. I tried to give my betta a 10 gallon but he hated it. This was a nice compromise. More room but still cozy for him. He is happy here. Wish I could get another for the bedroom!

Nice tank one of my favourite of all small tanks :)

How much was it and where did you get it from?

I keep mine in a lidless ten gallon planted and he seems to do great, I had to order another filter though because the one in the kit doesn't have adjustable flow. :( IMO as long as it's not a giant betta (specific variety) they will do best in anything that gives them room to swim and is shallow enough that they can easily reach the top.

I know, I try to keep the water at least 1.5 inches or more below the rim which is really easy due to the increased evaporation, definitely a good idea when keeping betas without a lid. :)

I like it too! The lid is a bit 'loose' as far as I am concerned and there is an open spot near the front that makes me nervous. I left the water about an inch down and put some saran wrap loosely on the top (really just laid it over the opening). My fish does jump at his food there while I am feeding him but so far he has not come to the top. I am tempted to take some more water off the top though.

Marineland Crescent 5 Gallon Aquarium System - Fish - Sale - PetSmart

I had a Betta in my rimless 10g. He loved it. I had it filled all the way.
BUT I had a lot of plants, including lots of Floating plants. That helps.
AND tank is in my bedroom. No one taps on it and there was nothing to startle him.
Lights are on a timer, so even that was routine.

Bettas are jumpers. Rimless ? YMMV.

thanks for all the replies! i think i will get the fluval chi, provided i can find a place to purchase the lid from. if not then i may get the fluval flora, and try out plants for the first time along with a new betta.

a.tetreault said:
thanks for all the replies! i think i will get the fluval chi, provided i can find a place to purchase the lid from. if not then i may get the fluval flora, and try out plants for the first time along with a new betta.

Get the lid. My betta jumped out of my chi today. I found him on the floor. That link I sent is out of stock but they have the lid on amazon.com for a higher price.

Get the lid. My betta jumped out of my chi today. I found him on the floor. That link I sent is out of stock but they have the lid on amazon.com for a higher price.

That's terrible! Yes I will Definatly get a tank with a lid, for that reason and also because I don't want to have to top off everyday because of evaporation

Back
Top Bottom