Betta tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kay2lynnS

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently cycling a 10 gal as an upgrade for my betta. I want 2 or more neighbors in for him later on. What do you suggest? What gets along with yours?

Depends on the temperment of your Betta. My males each had a Mystery snail which they nipped at the 1st week or so & then left alone. I personally like fewer fish in my tanks so for my 2 10g tanks there's just Male Betta each since the snails died from escaping.

I have two zebra snails in with my Betta with no issues.

I tried red cherry shrimp and it didn't end well. Ghost shrimp will be less likely to attract their attention.

Like someone said above it depends on the temperament of your betta. They are all so different!

I've heard they peppered corys make good tankmates. Would love some with mine but my 8g isn't big enough. :(

Allinthegame83 said:
I have two zebra snails in with my Betta with no issues.

I tried red cherry shrimp and it didn't end well. Ghost shrimp will be less likely to attract their attention.

Like someone said above it depends on the temperament of your betta. They are all so different!

I've heard they peppered corys make good tankmates. Would love some with mine but my 8g isn't big enough. :(

Sorry that should have said Pygmy corys.

You could have a school of six pygmy cories or a small school of neon tetras. I hear they're both good betta companions. Do remember that it comes down to the individual betta. Some bettas will be very peaceful with their tankmates while others won't allow any living thing in his territory.

I've had lots of luck with mystery snails and trapdoor snails. Mystery snails eat plants but trapdoor snails don't. They'll both help with algae too.

Bettafanatic said:
You could have a school of six pygmy cories or a small school of neon tetras. I hear they're both good betta companions. Do remember that it comes down to the individual betta. Some bettas will be very peaceful with their tankmates while others won't allow any living thing in his territory.

I've had lots of luck with mystery snails and trapdoor snails. Mystery snails eat plants but trapdoor snails don't. They'll both help with algae too.

Are neon tetras fin nippers?

I'll start with a snail. See how he acts. Then depending on the aggression I may or may not get some fish. :)

Kay2lynnS said:
Are neon tetras fin nippers?

Not the neons i have stay away from black phantoms though they do especially when lights are out made that mistake and learned if you want other fish stick with the neons or bottom fish

Bettafanatic said:
Most of the time no. There'll always be exceptions from time to time but they are very good tankmates for bettas and most of the time not fin nippers. THey're beautiful too!

+1 agreed

Back
Top Bottom