betta temperaments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbaeunn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've done a lot of online research with Betta and I'm considering one.. lots of places say females are less temperamental than males. I have a 15gal tank that has a pleco, 2 ADF and a blue mystery snail.

In your own opinion does anyone agree or disagree with females being less aggressive than males?
Do you think a betta would work with the current roomies?
If not, any suggestions?

Just something from my personal experience. I had two bettas in a 10 gallon tank. The female killed the first male. He was a wuss, wouldn't fight back.

The second male gave her a run for her money, and eventually they left each other alone. She didn't bother any other fish...except baby guppies :brows:

She got VERY big, about 4 inches long. I called her Big Birtha. Sadly, I got a larger tank, thought it was cycled, and lost her due to ammonia poisoning.

It's truly the luck of the draw with Bettas. Some males are very docile, and some females are.

In general, Yes they are. but that being said i've had a female tear a male halfmoon apart.I nearly just saved it. It did recover but the fins were never the same i've also had a pack of 5 female's tear a neontetra apart litterally..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Have you ever housed them with pleco or ADFs?
I know sometimes pleco get territorial, and mine has a rather large top fin and he loves showing it off! But-- only at night, I'm hoping it's not an issue?
I'd love to have a male and a female but I'm not always home to test to see if it would be okay or to readily separate them if it wasnt a good match.

I also read that if they're babies it's easier to house them together because they're less aggressive at this age?

while pleco are territorial they are so mostly to their own kind if your tank is large enough it shouldnt be a problem with most types of pleco's and they usually roam the bottom of the aquarium. while betta's are on top or in the middle.. what species are you thinking about? some of them do get huge

u could also divide the aqurium with a sheet of acrylic glass with some holes in so the male and female and get familiar with each other before u let them swim together

Male bettas are not usually kept with more than one per tank. Females can be kept in a group of 5 or 6 depending on tank size and temperment. The male and female are only put together to breed and lay eggs and then the female is removed and the male takes care of the eggs. Keeping a male and female in the same tank all the time is asking for trouble. Alison:)

Male bettas are not usually kept with more than one per tank. Females can be kept in a group of 5 or 6 depending on tank size and temperment. The male and female are only put together to breed and lay eggs and then the female is removed and the male takes care of the eggs. Keeping a male and female in the same tank all the time is asking for trouble. Alison:)

i've kept 1 male and 5 females in the same in a 54 liter tank with no problems

I haven't checked into what type of Betta yet, I didn't want to get my hopes up and then get feedback as to it being a horrible idea.

Any suggestions on which type?
I have a 15x15x15 tank that's roughly about 15gal as well.

Back
Top Bottom