Betta turned into a jerk :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my betta has recently turned into a jerk and decided that everything in the tank is fair game for him to chase after :(

My neon tetras are his favorite farget so far. But i honestly cant tell if they care about him or not. I still have the same 10 neons that I bought about 4 months or so ago and none of them act stressed or show any signs of damage.

I guess now i have to decide if my betta should be rehomed or not.

uploadfromtaptalk1428936940445.jpg

Your neons swim faster than your betta, so your neons are not in danger.

Though, did you introduce the betta after your neons?

Some Betas are just jerks.LOL Once they are fully mature their territorial instincts kick in and they want the tank all to themselves. Do you have room for another tank? 5 gallon tanks are pretty cheap. So are sponge filters and air pumps. The heater for a 5 gallon is not that much. Then the Beta will have his own territory.

Yeah, i have a whole setup tank i was using as a betta tank there for a while.

Im gonna go on the assumption that putting him in time out isnt necessarily gonna work so now i just gotta find a place to put it, i put a 3g reef tank where i was originally keeping that tank.

Yourbneons should be quick enough to escape from him but i think your betta will die of stress before your neons. Its really stressful for the betta to chase these fish all day. Hes not just chasing them to be aggressive hes protecting his home. I've had bettas for years and tried so many different fish with them. The best fish i had with bettas are peppered corys. Most seem fine with them. And bristlenose plecos if u have big enough tank for them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since he was getting even more aggressive I decided that its best for him to go into his own tank so i set up a 2.5g i have laying around with an air driven filter.

I set it up on the other side of my computer so im now surrounded by aquariums :D

uploadfromtaptalk1429391555408.jpg

Now i just have to figure out an assortment of plants to use that will allow the tank to be viewed from both sides.

Back
Top Bottom