Betta v. Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to get a 20g tank would that be enough for a betta and 2 mollies to live together in? The only other thing that'll be in with them will be some Kuhli loaches and some plants

Sent from a pelipper

I'm fairly sure Mollies are supposed to be house in a 30 gallon, but I could be wrong. A betta would fit nicely, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It depends on your the species of your mollies. P. Velifera needs brackish water, P Sphenops can do without, and P Latipinna can do without. That being said, all mollies benefit from some salt in the water, while bettas do not.

The last two will be okay with your betta, but the first one needs brackish water to thrive.

The mollies are a sailfin and I forget what the other one is exactly but it starts with a y and I can't say it right

Sent from a pelipper

Hmm, there seem to be a few options.

1. You rehome or return them or the betta
2. You set up a brackish tank because all mollies benefit from a little salt
3. You keep the tank how it is and risk shortening the life span of your mollies

I think Sailfins need brackish water. But, did some research and I found this!! TFH Classic: Salt and Other Sailfin Secrets » TFH Classic: Salt and Other Sailfin SecretsBlog Home | TFH Magazine Blog | TFH Magazine®

You should read the article, it is pretty cool.

You could increase the pH and increase calcium slowly with some aragonite sand in your filter or in the tank. Word of caution, do not do this with chemicals. Only use natural ways or your tank will yoyo and everything will die.

Can't a betta also survive with salt in the water? From what I have read is fish with scales are fine and scaleless fish shouldn't have it. The only fish that I have that would be negatively effected would be my Kuhli loaches correct? And their in a tank by themselves

Sent from a pelipper

Can't a betta also survive with salt in the water? From what I have read is fish with scales are fine and scaleless fish shouldn't have it. The only fish that I have that would be negatively effected would be my Kuhli loaches correct? And their in a tank by themselves

Sent from a pelipper

No, Bettas come from soft acidic water. Long term keeping in water with salt isn't ideal.

And some Molly females hit 5"

I would worry the Mollies would bully the Betta. I always recommend 30g or larger for Mollies as people have often never seen the Adults. Stores typically sell juvenile fish.

Plus I had Mollies returned to the store again and again because when they're kept in smaller tanks they tend to turn into bullies and often hog all the food.

Bettas also prefer live plants which are also not recommended with salt.

If you want a Brackish tank make sure you buy Marine salt, not aquarium Salt.

Research the needs of the fish. I try to make sure my fish are kept in their preferred conditions, not just in conditions that they might survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom