Betta w/out filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a betta in a aqueon bow 5 gallon desktop aquarium. I usually change the water weekly and it seems to stay very clean.

The filter in there is a Tetra Whisper Filter 10i (I think) but it is so big for the tank. Is it safe for my fishy if I go w/out a filter?

Thanks
Jana

I don't think youd have a problem seeing how they are sold in cups, and commonly kept in bowls. Bettas are very hardy

Any fish can be kept without a filter as long as the water conditions are kept up to standard. Two reasons I can think of to have a filter are the ease of tank maintenance (less water changes) in a cycled (filtered tank) over an uncycled tank. Less chance of the fish coming into contact with high toxin levels. And the filter creates surface agitation promoting oxygen exchange thus preventing stagnant water. Bettas come from still waters and have adapted to take some of their oxygen from the surface so still water isn't a problem. I don't think hardiness has anything to do with it.

Bettas breathe from the surface through their labyrinth organ, this is why they are a good candidate for filterless tanks, because they really don't need the surface agitation. Also bettas should be fed small portions of pellets or meaty foods, leaving far less chance for uneaten food to be left behind to rot and cause a rising ammonia level. A mature 5 gal tank w/ a single betta should be able to maintain zero ammo and nitrites even w/o a filter since the bioload is small and there should be enough BB present on the tank walls, substrate, and decor to manage it. You should test often though, especially the first month, and make sure the parameters are staying where they need to be. So, if you don't have a test kit, I wouldn't even think about taking it out at this time. Live plants are also a really good idea if you're going filterless. Also be aware that w/o a filter it's likely you'll end up with a build up of protiens at the surface that resembles oil. Personally I wouldn't remove the filter if it were me, but it can be done.

George9 said:
I don't think youd have a problem seeing how they are sold in cups, and commonly kept in bowls. Bettas are very hardy

This is bad advice

Like everyone else has said, a betta is fine in a filter-less tank. But water changes and such are a must, even though they breath from the surface, to keep ammonia and nitrates at none or a minimum. I would suggest planting it as well (if the tank isn't already planted) because Bettas produce such little waste that most likely the plants would eat up all the ammonia and waste before it could affect the fish along with water changes.

Plus, Bettas love live plants. ;)

Ok. I'll consider it. I tried him in a 10 gallon but he was really freaked out. The whisper filter eats up so much room in this tiny tank and it doesn't accommodate a HOB filter with the lid. I want him to have more room. Maybe I'll check out some 6 gallon tanks and work our way to 10 :).

Thanks for all the advice. I may do it since I have a good test kit.

Why not a diy filter based off of the sponge filter. If an airpump tube can be fit under the hood (you can drill a hole in the hood for putting airline tubing) you will at least have some filtration so you dont end up with proteins on the surface.

It should be just fine in a 10 if you have one for it. It's normal for any fish to be a little freaked in new surroundings, but I would expect it to adjust.

siva said:
It should be just fine in a 10 if you have one for it. It's normal for any fish to be a little freaked in new surroundings, but I would expect it to adjust.

My beta seemed freaked out when I completely redid his tank. He kept shoving his face at the gravel and seemed distressed but he stopped after a day or two. He'll probably adjust if you give him a little time. I found it helped when I left the lights off. :)

Back
Top Bottom