Betta water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
We bought a single betta in a small bowl. When we want to change the water, is it better to use tap with dechlorinator, or spring, or distilled?

I keep a 10 gallon with 2 males in it (seperated by a divider) and use tap water with dechlorinator.

Bettas are amazing when you put them in bigger tanks where they can actually swim around. I'd hate to live in a closet, they probably don't enjoy being in a small bowl (or the cups at the stores). IMHO

Third times a charm!
I agree, tap with dechlor or tap that has stood exsposed for a couple of days.
I don't like to tell people what to do normally...
BUT! :evil:
Get atleast a 1gal bowl or even better a small standard aquarium with a el'cheapo filter, small heater and some quality Betta food...
ASAP!
Your Betta will love you for it and will be far prettier than he'd ever be in a small bowl or ect...
And happier/healthier.

Tap water with dechlorinator is fine. If he stays in the bowl, yes, you'll have to change the water often, every 2 or 3 days.

Check out my gallery -- I have pictures of bettas in 5 gallon tanks. It's very easy to set up, and it really makes it easier on you, maintenance-wise. I do a water change once a week. It takes about 5 minutes per tank, and a few minutes to clean up!

Toirtis said:
My bettas (all 18) are all in 1 gallon wide jars....I change 90% of the water every 48 hours.
IMHO thats alot of water to change my sister has had her betts since the beginning of July and he is still swimming strong i think he is only in a 1/2 gal tank(a hex tank to be exact) and she hasnt been changing the water until the end of each month and she has been feeding him 3 little pellets of food each and every day

Personally I feel even a betta needs at least 5gallons of swimming space...but that's not always practical, especially for the breeders.
In those cases, I think Toirtis has it right - very good water changes 2-3 times a week.

Just because a betta can survive in filthy water doesn't mean it SHOULD be forced to live under those conditions.

Rudy_627 said:
my sister has had her betts since the beginning of July and he is still swimming strong i think he is only in a 1/2 gal tank(a hex tank to be exact) and she hasnt been changing the water until the end of each month

8O Holy Cannoli! Is your sis doing her regular water testing? I can't imagine that the water parameters are on the money with so infrequent water changes. Being exposed to constant ammonia could be doing some serious damage that may not be obvious right away.

My half gallon i chenge every2-3 days
My one gallon 2-3 times a week
My eight gallon i do a 2-4 gallon change every 7-10 days...

I have three very happy knock on wood Bettas: Trafalger Melody and Kaden

Back
Top Bottom