Betta water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coz

Aquarium Advice Regular
My daughtet has a betta in s 3 g tank and it just sits at the bottom or top and hardly ever swims around. Is this normal? I know bettas breathe air so is water quality as big a deal ad with other fish? Will a 3g tank cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the tank have a filter? Usually smaller tanks like that will have under gravel filters, which are not efficient in the long run. If you don't already have one, I suggest getting a hang on back or internal power filter (if it will fit in your tank). Make sure it doesn't have too much flow. Yes, water quality is aways important. Bettas still breathe with their gills, but they are able to take a breath from the surface if needed. They can still be harmed by ammonia or nitrites in your water, which is why it is important to cycle the tank. Yes, it will cycle.

My daughtet has a betta in s 3 g tank and it just sits at the bottom or top and hardly ever swims around. Is this normal? I know bettas breathe air so is water quality as big a deal ad with other fish? Will a 3g tank cycle?

Water quality is important for all fish, even Bettas. They are effected by toxins in the water just as much as any other fish. How long has the tank been running? Does it have a filter? How often is the water changed and how much? Is it heated? Yes, a 3g tank will definitely cycle.

Had a 50w heater but thats when i noticed the fish bein lazy so i took it out. It has a small filter that came with the tank. Water just trickles through it. Change water weekly

Its my daughters tank. She is gone for a week. Told me to feed it 1 litl freeze dried shrimp a day. Is that enough?

What kind of filter is it? And the heater really needs to stay in there. Bettas should be kept in at least 78F water. Do you have a thermometer in there, or test kits?

Had a 50w heater but thats when i noticed the fish bein lazy so i took it out. It has a small filter that came with the tank. Water just trickles through it. Change water weekly

Its my daughters tank. She is gone for a week. Told me to feed it 1 litl freeze dried shrimp a day. Is that enough?

No. Get flakes or pellets to feed it. Freeze-dried food should only be a treat. It doesn't have much in the way of nutrition for the fish due to the processing it has to go through. I prefer flakes because they don't swell up as bad when they get wet, therefore less issues with constipation. You would want to feed about a pinch of flakes a day.

You'll definitely need a heater and a thermometer for the tank. Bettas like warmer water than people like to keep their houses, so a heater is necessary to keep it happy and healthy. When the water is too cold, their immune system gets weaker.

I would ask the daughter what his normal behavior is, if you can. As others have said, the water temp should be at a minimum 76F but preferably 78-80F. As for food as stated, needs something other than freeze dried to maintain his health. If its a tank he is used to being in then there is something else going on most likely than the filter. When was the last water change & how much?

Tank hasnt cycled at all. 0 ammo 0 trites. Temp was 70. Put heater back in set at 79. Fed it some tropical fish flakes. It ate a bite. She has been feeding it dried blood worms. 1 a day.

Are regular tropical flakes ok or do I need something just for bettas?

Trates are 0. Thanks for the help. How hardy are they during cycling?

As long as you keep watch over your ammonia like you need to with a fish-in cycle and do water changes as necessary, he'll be fine. I've cycled 3 tanks with bettas. The most I would expect to possibly see is a little fin rot if the water gets nasty without being changed like it should.

Back
Top Bottom