Betta with Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenjeyMouse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my cousins recently decided to get rid of their female betta, and I offered to put her in my 20 gallon. Space isn't an issue, because the only fish in there right now are four endlers livebearers and one dwarf gourami. I'm hoping that since it's a female betta it won't bully the gourami or vice versa. Does anyone have anyone know if this would work?

It is definitely possible. I have a male betta in a 10 gal community with a dwarf gourami and they get along fine together. I acclimated him for a day inside a clear breeder cage though so he could safefully get use to his tankmates.

Okay, thanks. I'm glad it could work because I really don't want them to just kill her.

Keep an eye on them. I have 17 different fish in my 55 gal. One of them is a male betta and one WAS a dwarf gourami. My betta picked on the DG all the time. He doesn't bother my giant gourami or my pearl gourami but for some reason the DG set him off. Just watch them and make sure the DG has lots of hiding places.

I have a 220g 100% planted tank and have something very unusual which will make some people gasp in horror BUT in this tank I have 3 DG and 2 male Betta's. There is no aggression issues except the red Betta doesn't like if the Red Flame Gourami get's within about 6" of him. If he does the Betta will chase him off quickly. And this is the same DG that is the dominant one who chases the Angels if they get in his space sometimes. Also remember they are all in a huge tank with tons of plants. But the point of this is, sometimes a Betta and DG will work and sometimes not. A lot depends not only on the temperament of the two fish but also the amount of room and plants. Just monitor them and be prepared to step in and remove one if needed. All tanks are different and what works for one person may not work for another.

Back
Top Bottom