Betta with Hatchetfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking about getting a betta for my tank since I recently moved all the fish out into a bigger tank. I'd like to keep some hatchetfish in with it becuase they look cool and they where the first fish my dad ever kept and he liked them.

I don't see any problems with this at all, but what do you guys think?

......hmmmm I never did this so I have no idea if it would work or not. But since noone has answered yet I'll give you my thoughts on why I wouldn't.

The hatchetfish are clearly top water fish. They stay up top all the time and I have never seen mine dive down to the mid or lower tank levels. Therefore I'm not sure hatchetfish could easily evade a betta who decides to bug them.

Hope that helps and keep in mind that is just my opinion on why I wouldn't mix the two. It could be wrong since I have never tried mixing them and have never heard of anyone else doing it either.

Not including other fish, my friend has 4 hatchets and a betta in a 55g tank. The betta doesn't seem to bother any other fish. I think it would be ok, as long as they have enough space.

I have a betta in with 4 hatchet fish. He dosen't even notice them, just like my emeralds and loach. Now my serpae long-finned tetras were another story. They don't get along well....needless to say they will have a happy new home in a 75 gallon soon

In the same tank, the betta and hatchets are fine. The tiger barbs are the ones harassing everyone!

Back
Top Bottom