Betta with other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can you put a betta with other fish? I currently have three black fin tetras, a pleco that i will post a pic of if hes not hiding, and two[?] Tiger barbs in a 30 gallon with a canister filter, aeration, no plants, sand bottom.

Ive loved bettas since i was a kid but havent had one in a long time. Will it work in my current tank?

Bettas can work in community tanks, I've experimented with a lot of combos and provided the current in the tank and the tankmates are okay, they do just fine.

However, I wouldn't put them in a tank with tiger barbs. This species of barb is notorious for fin-nipping and a betta would ultimately prove to be too tempting a target.

Well i have the barbs in with the black fins and they have semi long fins and they dont seem to nip at theirs or the plecos who is about 4 inches long with long fins. I do notice though that the tiger barbs and black fins tend to school together......

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

Bettas are slow swimming fish as a rule with long flowing fins. Avery tempting combo for any type of fin nipper. I would not risk it, however you could do a betta tank. I have a 10 gal with a betta and his 3 cory cat friends and it works for me. Alison:)

The betta might be killed in the tank you described. I personally would put one in just to see. Bettas are cheap and easy to find, so if it dies it's not a huge loss. Betta fish are an easy target for speedy barbs, but if there is a large school of barbs then they might leave the betta alone. Overall, I say it's worth a shot.

The betta might be killed in the tank you described. I personally would put one in just to see. Bettas are cheap and easy to find, so if it dies it's not a huge loss.

Not one for ethical fish keeping, eh ?

Op, agree with others as not something I would try with the barbs. Cheap and easy to find is a poor excuse IMO to justify an "experiment".

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

As others have cautioned, I would not put a Betta with tiger barbs. The cost of a fish doesn't mean it's health should be jeopardized. As another member suggested, if you would really like a betta, you could pick up a 5 or ten gallon and put together a really nice Betta tank with some shrimp and snails. Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale until January 24th, if you're near one this might be a good option. Amazon sells some decent 5 gallon kits as well well. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom