Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off, I want no one to take this the wrong way. But what is the deal, why are they so popular, I used to have one about 10 years ago in a bowl (I know it's bad). I didn't find it as fantastic as people make them seem. What's your story and why do you (dis)/like bettas thanks everyone in advance!

First off, I want no one to take this the wrong way. But what is the deal, why are they so popular, I used to have one about 10 years ago in a bowl (I know it's bad). I didn't find it as fantastic as people make them seem. What's your story and why do you (dis)/like bettas thanks everyone in advance!

I just think that Bettas are the first 'flashy' fish that newbies see.

They see the colours and the fancy tail and fall for them, then they find out that they can be kept in a bowl and they're dirt cheap.
Simple as that.

I don't dislike Bettas but I'm not their biggest fan either, I'm impartial to the usual stuff found in the hobby.
I cringe a bit when Neon Tetras are mentioned to newcomers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most people like them for their color and personality. I've kept a few over the years and I love them but I've recently had to remove all my tanks but my 60 gallon :/
If I ever get the chance I will certainly keep them again!

The biggest reason they're so popular (besides perhaps their obvious beauty) is how hardy and beginner-friendly they are. You will not find a more appropriate fish that can live newbie-trap situations such as tiny 2.5-10 gallon kits and be perfectly happy for the most part. They're also pretty cheap.

The reason I'm not into it is because I'm a community variety sort of fella' and I feel like it would be like putting an african cichlid in my peaceful planted aquarium

Bettas actually tend to do pretty well in community tanks with tetras and such provided the tetras aren't a nippy variety, although ultimately it depends on the individual betta.

Agreed, the vast majority of the time bettas do great in community aquariums. They are flashy, interesting, and surprisingly active if they are healthy and haven't been kept in a bowl their entire life.

I enjoy them because I find them very easy to breed. They were the first fish I breed, even before I breed my platies!

I also enjoy them in my community tanks. I have one in each of my tanks. I even keep young betta fry in my community tanks before they move to new homes. They demonstrate a lot of personality and curiosity in a community tank :) plus they are colorful :)

They are aggressive to their own species. They make great centerpiece fish or as a community tank mate. :)

I love my year old betta, Kevin. He has a lot of personality and is very active. I think bettas get a bad rap. So much personality for such a small fish. He lives happily with some apple snails in a 4.5 gallon filtered tank. He comes to the top daily to say hi and get his food. Kevin is a great fish. I do think that bettas should not be kept in bowls. They need filtered, bubbling water just like the rest.

I have always had a male betta, I love their laid back personality. I have usually kept mine in a community tank with lots of plants. I love how they lay around on anything. When I put my hand in the tank, he will swim up and lay in my hand.

He will at times swim around and puff his gills up at another fish...trying to show who's boss...but that is as far as his aggression goes.

However I have carefully selected his tank mates, none are fin nippers and none look like other bettas

Mine have been kept in 5-10g planted tanks. They are active when they see me. Eat out of my hand. Flare at a mirror as a rare excitement. Check my profile if you want to see the last two I had. Mine usually live around 5yrs on average. I've lost some younger as they were mature when I got them.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Really? I thought bettas were super aggressive even to the opposite sex

Like others have said the aggression is toward their own species.

Young bettas in my experience will not demonstrate this aggression towards each other until they are sexually mature. They won't school together, but they will sort of ignore each other (especially in a larger tank). I keep my youngsters in a heavily planted 40 breeder and have had no problems.

Unfortunately my community was set up in a haste before I knew much about fish. My options are severely limited by my tiger barbs.

You might consider selling or trading them to someone on this forum. You could try your LFS as well.

If you like them then your options are limited like you said. But really just avoid long finned fish.

I love my betta, first fish I ever had and was a good way for me to jump in to the aquarium hobby! I like betas because each one is different in color style and personality. My betta likes to play tag while I'm cleaning his tank. He swims over, hits my finger with his tail and swims away until I "tag" his tail and it continues until is water is done being changed. He also won't touch his pellets until they are caught in the filter current and shot to the other side of the tank so he can chase them down. They're like the puppies of the fish world!! :)

Back
Top Bottom