Betta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what are the conditions for breeding bettas? Anything special required, or just a male and a female

You need at least 2 females for every male otherwise they will kill each other. There was alot of tail nipping at first, but once they got over that stage(we'll call it foreplay) they got along fine. I had them in a 3g eclipse so the water quality was pretty good. Also there were a million hiding spots including some fake plants that want all the way to the top of the tank and ran along the surface of the water. The babies were usually hanging out up there out of sight of their hungry parents. I have about 20 babies right now which means there were probably 10 times as many at one time. They bred a couple times. I could always tell when babies were on the way because the fish would do this thing where they would curl up around each other and swim in a circle sort of entangled. It was actually incredible to watch. So watch out for that behavior then be ready for babies. Most people scoop out the eggs but i just let them go, i let nature do its thing. If that many babies made it then i guess they beat the odds, but they're fun to have and make great gifts because they're free!!

Good luck!!!

-Dan

Surprisingly i bought a couple bettas at petco and they bred
O mean like for show, like you can't sell/show veils. Sorry about that, diddn't mean to confuse anyone. :oops:

Dan, your bettas bred with 2 females in the tank!? And you kept the parents in the tank with the babies?! Thats pretty amazing they havn't killed each other! That is..well neat! Usually if the female hangs around the male will kill her, cus he needs to protect the babies. Let us know how many babies survive! And its only in a 3gal? Thats pretty amazing! Good luck with em! :D

ashley

Yup the parents were in the tank the whole time. Like i said though there were a ton of hiding spots so it would have been tough for the parents to a) find the babies and b) catch them.

The parents died due to problems in the tank. The filter got all jammed up and after realizing what happened it was too late. THe male had some crazy growth on his tail which eventually killed him and at some point hte females died, 1 before and 1 after i think.

I do still have the babies and are raising them. I think they're too little for a tank with a filter (might get sucked in) but once they are we'll set something up for them.

What do betta babies like to eat. I've been grinding up flakes little so they'll fit in their mouths, but i can't tell if they're eating them or not.

Also will baby bettas and baby guppies get along in the same tank? I put some in a while back and are waiting to see if anyone in that tank(10g planted) grows up to be a betta! Should be interesting.

-Dan

Babies will eat Microwworms, vinegar eels, and baby brine shrimp. if you have live plants in the tank then they produce food for them to, but its not as good as the others.
They should get along when they are small but once they start to grow there could be problems, but i have never tryed so i don't know.

ashley

don't you have to seperate the male and female babies so the males dont kill each other? I heard somewhere that they start getting aggressive early in life.

Back
Top Bottom