Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
For bettas, do you just add aged water into a tank, then add the bettas or do you cycle the tank?

Bettas are just like any other fish. You should cycle it before you add the betta but if the tank is too small to cycle, then you must do daily water changes, and make sure that the temp dosnt flux too much.

Oh, hrms.. I would think that having a cycled tank would be better, but then again I do not believe you are supposed to have gravel. Dunno.

Here's a good article:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/kick_beta-breeding.html

You should get a small sponge filter and let it work in your main tank for 2-3 weeks, so that there are plenty of bacteria on it to keep your breeding tank cycled. Just fill up the breeding tank with tank water from any other tank you have, or fresh water, doesn't really matter, as long as the water parameters are near to the ones you are keeping your bettas in already. And the sponge filter will make sure that you don't have problems with the tank going through a cycle.

Any idea on how you will raise fry? After a while all the males will have to be put into seperate containers.........and that could mean 50-100 of them if you get lucky.

HTH!

I've already planned out where I'm going to keep my fry :). Plus my mom can bring me tons of jars so I think I got that prepared for. I was cycling the spawning tank a while before I even posted. I just wanted to know if I had to. I tested the Ammonia and Nitrite today and it's at 0! Bought a Nitrate test earlier and tested it just now. Going to do a water change and add the male.

I put the female into a glass vase into the spawning tank, but for some reason she hasn't gotten the vertical bars. A few days ago before the tank was cycled, I put the bettas close to each other and the female would get the vertical bars, but I haven't seen it do it again yet. The male constantly flares at the female and swims away, but has not made a bubble nest yet. It did in his vase and nearly covered the surface of it. Any ideas? My friend from school suggested some Barry White lol.

I would just keep an eye on them if I were you, I wouldn't take them out quite yet, but if they become -extremely- aggressive with eachother then I would go ahead.

My female started displaying vertical bars so I released her. At first there was a bit of playful playing, but then it stopped and they didnt seem to be much interested in each other. After a few minutes the male started chasing the female a lot. It's stopped right now, she's hiding behind some anarchis. She's breathing rapidly just like the male. Should I seperate them? At random times he starts chasing her again. She keeps bouncing into the glass. Need help asap.

Not much damage is done, only lots of chasing. I think I'll continue to watch how the female is doing. and if it gets worse I'm going to take her out.

Good News, Male betta made the bubble nest at night and some more when I was at school. Bad news, my female's fins are starting to look like the crowntail variety. Looks pretty good, but don't like the way she's getting the new look. Not sure if they have spawned yet. How do you tell if the nest has eggs or not?

Edit:
I have seen the male and female go into the position, but produced no eggs. They tried this a few times, but then the power went out and the light turned off so I couldn't really see what was happening. When the power finally came back on, I found the female hiding behind the sponge and plants. Whenever the male came close, she flared and the male went away. I'm guessing the male wants the female to follow him to his bubble nest, but she just stays where she is. Everytime he goes back to the nest, he keeps adding bubbles that about it so far. No more injuries seem to be occurring anymore. I just can't stop watching them. Fascinating to watch the male better blow bubbles. I never seen this happen before, I've only seen the nest.

Bump

Good News they spawned!!!! I'm so happy :D

Bad News: They ate the eggs.... Didn't even place them into the nest.... Another thing, I am evacuating houston because of Hurricane Rita. I hope my fish will be ok :(.

Back
Top Bottom