Bettas and aquarium salt or epsom salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
My betta tank had an ammonia spike. Most likely due to the addition of the clown pleco. I have done water changes and the ammonia is back to 0ppm. My question is whether adding either aquarium salt to a betta tank, or epsom salt helps a betta or harms him. If it helps him which salt and how much to use? I have read varying recommendations on salt dosages. TIA. Oh and I will remove the pleco before any salt treatment to another tank.

What is the reason for adding salt? Does the betta have dropsy? Neither aquarium salt nor epsom salt will harm a betta, but bettas don't need the regular addition of aquarium salt.

You can find the dosage for aquarium salt on the label. I have most often read to use 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. If you have mostly livebearers like mollies or platies, the dosage can be increased to 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons.

To use epsom salt for dropsy, try 1/8 teaspoon per gallon. Otherwise, I would not add epsom salt to the tank regularly.

For nitrite spikes, aquarium salt is beneficial.

I was thinking it might easy any symptoms he might have suffered from the ammonia. That is why I check here first before doing anything with the tanks. :D

I have never read anything about using salt to help ease the fish's discomfort after an ammonia spike. It could be possible, but I haven't read anything. I was wondering if you meant "nitrite spike", since aquarium salt does help with that.

I bought a betta once with already inflamed gills from a high ammonia level. I used Maracyn 1 or 2 on him, and it seemed to lessen the redness and swelling, but the rust-colored marks on his gills remained the rest of his life. But I don't think you would allow your ammonia to be that high for that long. :) Just keep monitoring your ammonia level to make sure you're past the mini ammonia spike - I know you will!

He has no symptoms as I change the water every 3 days in that small tank. LOL I'm just being paranoid I guess. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom