bettas and kuhlis and food, oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my Betta seems to have a bottomless stomach. He'll eat all of his food, eat the minnows' flakes, and last night I caught him eating the kuhlis food too! I'm sure he's not going to be in danger of starving! However, I have no idea how to judge how much food the kuhlis need especially as they have competition.

I have three kuhlis and I'm feeding them frozen omnivore food. I don't want to pollute the tank or starve my fish, but as they are nocturnal and more scavangerish and the "don't feed more than they will eat within a few minutes" just doesn't seem to apply.

Tonight I sunk their food into the java moss...hopefully Sammie won't go after it in there!

Most fish are opportunistic feeders, meaning if they can find food, they'll eat it. The 2-3 minute rule is trying to compensate for that.

Bottom feeders are a bit trickier. For my nocturnals, I feed right at lights out or just after, so the others won't bother it. It's tough to judge how much to feed, so it's really by trial and error a little bit.

So, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis are doing their usual nightly circles around the tank glass at the moment. Well, Sammie the Betta decided to have a look at me looking at them and ended up right in the path of one of the Kuhlis. That Kuhli struck him twice on two different laps 'cause he was in the way. You know what the infamous white cloud chaser did? Not a thing. Not even a flair. Just swam off in a different direction.

They make me laugh. I don't know that any of the fish in the tank actually end up sleeping. maybe once my moonlights go off. I need to put some red celo over a flash-light so I can observe when it's full night.

So I injected my kuhlis food straight into the java moss just 5 minutes ago. Where was Sammie just two minutes ago...........?

Pretending to be a kuhli burried nose into the moss with only 1/8 of his tail sticking out. Oh, I wish I had a decent quality camera!

Update:

Got some Ottos, bought some algae wafers for the ottos and the kuhlis. The Tetra Algae Wafer package states: good for catfish, loaches and other bottom feeders. It should read good for catfish, loaches, other bottom feeders, and absolutely irresistible to felines. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom