Bettas and power filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

massiveattack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I own a 5-gallon hex with a I was wondering if anyone has come up with some nifty setup to tackle the turbulence caused by the power filter output and intake cycle, maximizing betta comfort. Right now I'm thinking of having my BIO Wheel Mini rigged up to an AC outlet autotimer to run for 20 mins twice a day. I figured since maximum water flow for the filter is 100 GPH, which figures to roughly 1.6 GPM, and 20 mins would clean my entire tank about 6x and give my betta some excercise.

But this may wear down the motor more quickly and may not be making full use of the BIO Wheel. Has anyone else devised any clever schemes to minimize current flows while operating the filter at maximum without interruptions?

I'm kicking around the idea of custom building a clear perforated( with small holes ) inner hex-shaped housing to place inside the tank which would break up currents while still allowing water to circulate.

hiya massiveattack and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

Ooo. Don't run the filter like that. The bacteria that live in the filter need fresh oxygenated water, and will die if the filter is off most of the day. If you have a mature filter and do that, the dead bacteria will really mess the tank up. It also defeats the purpose of the biowheel.

You might want to try putting a filter sponge over the intake tube. It will decrease the amount of water coming up into filter and consequently the amount coming out. You might also want to try attaching a small square of clean, new washcloth or dishtowel to the bottom of the outflow; it may help break up the outflow of water.

Running a filter for only 20 minutes a day would be a waste of time. You essentially get no benefit from this at all. There would be no beneficial bacteria in the filter since it would never have a chance to develop, or on the Bio Wheel. Even if you did have bacteria on the Bio Wheel, it would all die off as soon as the wheel dried out. And the likelyhood of the filter actually catching a piece of waste is almost non-existent.

Many Betta typically do not like high current. 20 X in a small tank is too much for a Betta to deal with, even if you do diffuse it a bit. Lets say you find a way to cut down %25 of the flowrate, then you would still be at 15 X which again is probably too high. I would use a sponge or corner filter in that tank. It would hold a lot of bacteria, catch some of the waste, and create just enough current to give the Betta some excercise and keep the water moving.

I agree. I have two bettas in their own 5 gallon tanks with a sponge filter in each tank. The sponge filters are run by the same air pump via a gang valve. There are lots of bubbles coming thru the sponge filters, but I have the airflow adjusted so that the surface of the water barely moves.

Bettas and power filters would definately be tricky in a hex. There's very little surface area to create a calmer current "region". I would consider either going with a different type of filter (sponge), or with a longer tank for your betta. If the power filter in generally on one side of the tank, than the other side is calm enough for betta to relax. He will learn that the other side has some "turbulence" and won't go over there if he's to tired to deal with it. He'll still get his exercise, yet won't be forced to do so.

Back
Top Bottom