Bettas/Canada - Can this be True ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
1. Several Buy Bettas to keep in Hex's in Canada.
2. In Canada it gets quite cold in winter.
3. Moreover, Junior heaters are not readily available mostly in
Canada.
4. Hence, this means that several Betta's get infected with disease
and die or just freeze to death.

Seems to be a little known but true fact. Comments/opinions welcome.

Vijay

A small tank in a heated room does not mean death. Most people in Canada that I know of try to keep there homes around 68-72 F. That is fine for a betta.

What part of Canada are you from? Do you not have heat in your home in the winter? (lol, i'am just playin)
Bettas will surive at lower temps(but not too low), but why would your house be cold enough for a fish to freeze anyway??

ashley

Home is heated but still goes down to 9C at one point in the dead of winter. Not much can be expected for better maintenance. I heard at lower temps. Betta's fins clamp and they freeze. Needn't be zero necessarily.

Vijay

Wow this is very good to know that you kept a Betta without a heater for so long at those temperatures. Is this just one lucky and hardy Betta ? Is there anyone else herre with a similar experience ? Please share. Thank You.

Vijay

I've owned 3 bettas for 3 years and never had any problems. I live in BC, HOWEVER I do have problems with too much heat in the summer. Especially right now! =(

What was the lowest temperature that your Bettas experienced ? What is the temperature in your Betta tanks prresently ? Thanks.

rvijay07 said:
What was the lowest temperature that your Bettas experienced ? What is the temperature in your Betta tanks prresently ? Thanks.

Lowest was probably 13 in the winter. Im living in Vancouver BC and right now its pretty hot but I live in a really cool basement it never gets hot here and my temps are around 15-20 c. (I got a new betta after my other one died. Had it for 2 years now no problem except one constipated bloating thats been fixed.)

Edit: I still have no heater or filter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom