Bettas fins are not open?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxDriftingAway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418147378.466070.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418147424.905320.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418147459.773962.jpg

This just happened within the last 24hours what is going on? Is that bad?

Sent from my iPhone 6 128GB SG using Tapatalk

Just did a 100% water change like I have been since I've been home.
Read online that this could be that she doesn't like her temporary home. My tank that she is usually in is in Florida in my dorm and I'm home for Xmas break.
If that is the case, I don't want to buy new rocks and crap only to not use it after a month.
What should I do?

Here are updated picturesImageUploadedByTapatalk1418149746.045355.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418149765.823292.jpg

I don't have my testing kit here so I can't say but I just did a 100% water change like I've done for the past 2 1/2 - 3 weeks she has been here and her fins were open 48 hours ago but now they are like that.
I usually do a 100% water change every 4-6 days. Basically when the bottom is cluttered in poop/food. I know 100% isn't good but that is the only way I can get the poop off of the bottom without touching it.

I don't have my testing kit here so I can't say but I just did a 100% water change like I've done for the past 2 1/2 - 3 weeks she has been here and her fins were open 48 hours ago but now they are like that.
I usually do a 100% water change every 4-6 days. Basically when the bottom is cluttered in poop/food. I know 100% isn't good but that is the only way I can get the poop off of the bottom without touching it.

The big problem with 100% water changes is that there will be spikes in pH. Nets also have a tendency to damage the fish and stress them out. Imho, you would have more luck with a filter and 50% water changes.

Your current method might be stressing him out a bit too much.

I agree. This is only a small temporary aquarium until I can get her back home. I'm only here with this tank until Jan 6th and I'm planning to put her back in her tank by Jan 8th at the latest (gotta do a 100% water change there as the water is sitting there without the filter on right now and I'm expecting it to be completely disgusting)
So I don't want to go out and spend money on a filter or anything that I won't use after Jan 6th. That would be a waste of my money. I care about her but I'm not wasting money I don't have (until Christmas presents that is) on a fish.

DIY filter using a water bottle. I cut the water bottle in half, put in gravel, filter floss, and then filter padding. You don't even need a lift tube. Total cost was probably $2 - $3. I use them for all my fry tanks.

75748-albums12252-picture60018.jpg

Regardless, I would skip the 100% water changes and switch it up to 50%. Assuming you feed sparingly you should be able to go a while between water changes and it would stress out your betta waaaaay less.

Try leaving all lights off as much as possible too and rely in natural lighting if this is a temporary home. Either that or add some decor or a cave of some kind for security.

The tank looks a bit bare and in a lit tank with no hiding places the betta maybe stressed out with seeing multiple reflections.

This happened to my betta when the bulb went and it took us a while to source a replacement. The betta go used to little light so when is reintroduced a light source he was swimming round at all sides of his tank flaring at the reflection. He seemed very stressed that I just use natural lighting for the time being at least.

There may also be temperature fluctuations and parameter fluctuations that the betta may be struggling to cope with with doing so many water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks scared to me.

Surely you can find something to give the fish some cover ... Dark colored water glasses, some plastic baby dishes labeled BPA free, surely you have something somewhere. Doesn't have to be pretty or meant for fish decor, just needs to be tank safe.

Maybe try 50% daily and consider API stress coat. The aloe in it is one thing I can think of to be helpful under all this stress. I've been through similar situations and fin rot usually followed.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thanks guys! I was able to finally get a refund I've been waiting for so I went up to pet smart and got her some cover. Now she is happy! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418316519.312227.jpg
Her find are open and everything! Yay!

Thanks guys! I was able to finally get a refund I've been waiting for so I went up to pet smart and got her some cover. Now she is happy! View attachment 258091
Her find are open and everything! Yay!

Lovely cave! Glad she is now happy. Are you sure it's a female?

Lovely cave! Glad she is now happy. Are you sure it's a female?

That's what it says on the cup I got her in. I know those aren't that reliable but I saw another Betta that looked just like her at petsmart yesterday and she was in a female cup and section as well.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418327932.734141.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418327989.476312.jpg
Better pictures I hope :)

Back
Top Bottom