Bettas Killing Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all

My three Bettas in a divided tank all have pestered mystery snails, killing some of them. I've seen two of the bettas displaying like fight aggression at the snails then picking at them. each Betta has approximately 5 gallons capacity. Is there any other algae eating animal I can safely put in the tank with them?

Not really with a small tank like that and them showing that much aggression you risking anything being put in with them have a few that did the same thing

I have one betta in a five gallon and he won't tolerate anyone in his territory at all. He attacks snails. I wouldn't dare put anything else in there unless I wanted it to be attacked. I clean algae by hand in there. (Or rather my son does, since its his betta.) My betta in my ten gallon with my frogs is super chill. I put some molly fry in there today thinking he (or the frogs) would have a snack. They're still in there. The only time he's shown any aggression at all is when the frogs float into his bubble nests.

TL:DR aggressive bettas are aggressive, clean algae by hand.

I have one betta in a five gallon and he won't tolerate anyone in his territory at all. He attacks snails. I wouldn't dare put anything else in there unless I wanted it to be attacked. I clean algae by hand in there. (Or rather my son does, since its his betta.) My betta in my ten gallon with my frogs is super chill. I put some molly fry in there today thinking he (or the frogs) would have a snack. They're still in there. The only time he's shown any aggression at all is when the frogs float into his bubble nests.

TL:DR aggressive bettas are aggressive, clean algae by hand.
Oh that's the problem they are wanting to breed and how small tanks they are there really not a lot of space for other fish to have there own space to give the bettas that's the problem they are taking mostly all the tank as the breeding place. Only way to fix that is having bigger tanks

The one in my ten gallon may want to. But he doesn't think of the whole tank as his breeding area. He only cares about the bubble nest itself. He doesn't even attack the frogs so much as flare at them and jump on them if they're IN the nest itself. The one in the five gallon is ornery. If we move his decorations around he gets mad. He attacks snails in the tank. I wouldn't dare put in an oto or shrimp. He flares when he sees the mollies in the tank nearby. (We've had to put things between his tank and that one.) I don't think I've seen him build a bubble nest.

I wouldn't risk him even with a big tank he probably will just be like that the rest of his life they were for that reason to fight and aggression. The other one won't to be bad but could always put a fake plant on the top corner so he will feel more comfortable that nothing will get near its nest

Yeah. The boy in my five is fine there. Like I said, we just clean it by hand. The one in my ten is fine 99% of the time. There's just a frog that floats into it every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom