Bettas with community fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I keep a betta fish with community fish like platys, GloFish tetras and/or danios, and cardinal tetras?

When it comes to keeping Bettas, any Betta can become a monster and kill off fish , usually colorful fish, that it sees as a threat. So if you want a guarantee, then I wouldn't. Bettas are really more a specialized fish and should be looked at that way ( IMO). For every one story of success, I can assure you there is another one of failure. :( They don't call them Siamese Fighting Fish for no reason. ;)

I'll disagree. I have a Betta with seven Zebra Danios and three Clown Loaches and everyone is peaceful. He minds his own business for the most part. It is a large tank though, 56 gallon. It's planted and there are lots of hiding places. It may be a different matter in a 10 or 20 gallon tank.

I have kept Bettas with neons, cardinals and Khuli loaches and never had a problem.

I'll disagree. I have a Betta with seven Zebra Danios and three Clown Loaches and everyone is peaceful. He minds his own business for the most part. It is a large tank though, 56 gallon. It's planted and there are lots of hiding places. It may be a different matter in a 10 or 20 gallon tank.

I have kept Bettas with neons, cardinals and Khuli loaches and never had a problem.

What you have to remember is that the Betta's entire existence in the hobby dates back to the fish that were selectively bred to fight better with each other. ( Their natural behavior.) In today's fish, some of them have lost that instinct while others can be ferocious. I even lost a beautiful male to the female I was trying to breed him with. She tore him up to shreds then killed him when he tried to defend himself. It all happened right before my eyes and I couldn't save him. :eek: I also had a male chasing down an adult Anglefish across a 4' long tank. That didn't end well for the Betta. He was killed by the Angels the next day.
So as I said in my post, if you want a guarantee that nothing will happen, there is none.:nono: Any fish that has color to them or fancy fins ( ie Guppies, long finned fish, Neons, Cardinals, etc) can become a victim. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom